Sign in to follow this  
mrpugster001

slow/weird 15k scsi performance

Hi all, just wanted to run this by everyone to see if they could shed some light.

I have the following:

Adapted 39160 (with properly rated cable)

Maxtor 146GB 15K (server hotswop - new)

Dell P4 system

As it's a hotswop drive I bought one of those SCA converters, same as this one on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCSI-SCA-80-Pin-F-to...1QQcmdZViewItem

With Windows XP installed I get 115MB burst speed with HD Tach however write speed seems terrible and in general the drive seems sluggish. I know the adaptec is a 64bit card and it's in a 32 bit PCI slot and i am using a converter which isn't the greatest.

I did a couple of real world test with my old WD IDE drive, I unrar'd a 700MB movie from the same drive to the same drive, the scsi should be much much faster but isn't.

WD 120GB 7200 IDE = 32 secs

Maxtor 146GB 15K SCSI = 39 secs

As you can see the Maxtor lags way behind, it's the same with games etc. I'm due to get a new PC soon, proper 64bit but would like to understand why it's so slow. I'm leaning towards the adaptor, i've tried different cables and even another 39160

Any ideas? Thanks for reading..

Any ideas? Thanks for reading..

Sure ! You're not the first one who got a problem with the Maxtor Atlas II SCSI drive and an adaptec card <_<

I mylseft had this issue on my mac, my old Western 2000JB was faster than the 146GB SCSI-320 Atlas !

I tried to change the cable, move the jumber, nothing work. Until I decided to change the adaptec card for an Atto UL4S one. That solve all my speed problems and I was able to read and write at a blazing fast 92MB/sec !

A year ago, another user here had the same problem and I tell him to change the card and get another manifacturer and it worked for him. I don't know if there is another solution, but it seem to have an incompatibility between an Adaptec card and a Maxtor Atlas II SCSI drive. Maybe a firmware upgrade can help, who know ?

Also :

As you have seen yourself, the read speed is excellent but the write speed is *really* bad. This is the issue with an adaptec card. I got 30MB/sec for writing speed on my old G4. The 32bit PCI bus is not the culprit since you can still read at the disk at full speed (115MB/sec burst!)