ruibex

All my Seagates HD´s have to be returned!

Hi,

I don´t know what´s wrong with my computer but one thing is certain something is fu***ing my Seagate Hard Drives!! :angry: :angry:

In the past 3 years I bought 3 Seagate HD, the first two (2 Seagate 120 gb) had to be returned after a few months each in different times, now the last drive, one Seagate 750 gb ST3750640AS sometimes makes lots of irritating ticks and with some frequency disconnects, like someone unplug the cable power of the HD ???

In Vista the drive simple disconnects in XP sometimes appears a Write delay error, something that happened before with one of the 120 GB faulty HD. I am almost certainly that this 750 GB drive have to go, although all drives pass the lasts Sea tools (Dos and Windows), the same happened before and Seagate told me to return the drive.

What you think is causing this problems ? This is causing me to loose my nerves:((

Someone told me that could be the motherboard, I have an ASUS P4C800 with the Intel 975p chipset, and it was expensive because was a top model at the time, the rest of my setup is:

Pentium 4 2.8 with HyperThrearting

2x512 mb Twinmos ram

Sapphire Radeon X800 pro VGA

Generic PSU 400W

X-FI Xtreame Gamer Fatality sound card

I already thought of the PSU also but I think this is a reasonable PSU because my previous expensive Nexus 400w was causing lots of reboots and that is very rare with the generic one.

Please Help!!

Edited by ruibex

Hi,

I don�t know what�s wrong with my computer but one thing is certain something is fu***ing my Seagate Hard Drives!! :angry: :angry:

In the past 3 years I bought 3 Seagate HD, the first two (2 Seagate 120 gb) had to be returned after a few months each in different times, now the last drive, one Seagate 750 gb ST3750640AS sometimes makes lots of irritating ticks and with some frequency disconnects, like someone unplug the cable power of the HD ???

In Vista the drive simple disconnects in XP sometimes appears a Write delay error, something that happened before with one of the 120 GB faulty HD. I am almost certainly that this 750 GB drive have to go, although all drives pass the lasts Sea tools (Dos and Windows), the same happened before and Seagate told me to return the drive.

What you think is causing this problems ? This is causing me to loose my nerves:((

Someone told me that could be the motherboard, I have an ASUS P4C800 with the Intel 975p chipset, and it was expensive because was a top model at the time, the rest of my setup is:

2x512 mb Twinmos ram

Generic PSU 400W

I already thought of the PSU also but I think this is a reasonable PSU because my previous expensive Nexus 400w was causing lots of reboots and that is very rare with the generic one.

Please Help!!

You are probably right about your PSU. I also had a generic 400W PSU nad I also used all Seagate drives. The problem is I had a P4 3.0G that is hot as hell and eats a lot of power from the PSU and left little juice for my Seagate drives and also causes a lot of problems you just described - reboots, disconnects, etc.

Spend some money and get "80 Plus Certified" power supply and your problem probably will go away, or sell your P4 system and get a Core 2 Duo system. I bought Antec Earthwatts 80 Plus Certified PSU on sale for $50.

For my own experience, P4 is the worst processor I ever own, period.

Edited by etherboyusa

Generic PSU 400W

Before I got to your parts list I was thinking PS. Then you list a generic PS.... I'd say 95% chance that it is the PS. PS is one of the most important parts of a computer, and cheap or faulty PS's will almost always result in flakey computers.

I've seen that exact symptom a number of times before.

Same motherboard? Same cabling? I would suspect that.

What are the SMART values being reported? Anything useful there? Write delay errors are usually cabling or controller problems.

Hi,

I don�t know what�s wrong with my computer but one thing is certain something is fu***ing my Seagate Hard Drives!! :angry: :angry:

2x512 mb Twinmos ram

Generic PSU 400W

Please Help!!

I have two Seagate 200 Gb sata drives which have been working flawlessly for a year or so, and a Seagate 320 Gb sata which has been running for about 18 months with no problems. My power requirements may be lower than yours because I only use $50 - $75 video cards. All my power supplies are Seasonic with active power factor correction. I also use a whole house surge protector wired into my main breaker box (I live near Minneapolis where there is a LOT of lightening). Supposedly MUCH better than those power strip pieces of crap that everyone uses. Read all about it here: http://www.bitzenbytes.com/Content-Arcanum-18-1-16.html

Get a 400-500 watt PSU from Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, or PC Power and Cooling. There are other good ones out there too, but I haven't read up on them.

Edited by hal9001

Thanks a lot for your fast responses,

the computer plays a very important role in my life so I choose very carefully my components and already spend a lot, because I know that with certain components cheap stuff just doesn´t work.

That´s is way I spent at the time (about 3 years ago) about 1750 dollars just for an upgrade and I choose only Seagate Hard Drives after seeing reviews, polls a technicians favour that brand as the most reliable.

Also at the time I spend about 180 dollars (including shipping) on a supposedly good PSU an Nexus 400 watts which only gave me headaches and made me very hungry because I had to replace it, and then I was unemployed (I live in Portugal, in a city were jobs don´t come by easy) and could only afford an el cheapo PSU which solved the Nexus problems wich was mostly frequents random reboots and artifacts!!!

I was thinking that the PSU could be also the problem as you guys say, so i replaced for a cheap one which resolved all my problems!! :) :) Now the drives don´t disconnect, doesn´t make strange noises and pass all seatools tests. Yess :D I think i am not going to send my drives to Seagate any more.

It is going to stay for a while until i arrange funds to buy a better one, perhaps a Seasonic, i think the new X-900 is very good.

P.S. sorry for the late response, been busy

I know that i said before all my drives passed the Seatools (new versions are out for Dos and Windows) ivan with the faulty PSU but that was not happening lately, Now everything is ok :rolleyes:

Thanks again!

Edited by ruibex