Thumbkin

AHCI and RAID 1 on ICH9R

HI SR Gang --

I'm new to these options so bear with me.

I just bought a pair of WD 750Ks (SATA) to run for storage *ONLY* in RAID 1. (I will be installing the OS on a physically separate drive.)

My OS will be XP 32-bit, running on a Gigabyte P35 mobo (GA-P35CDS3R)

I'm a little confused about some of my options. To wit:

- The bios seems to offer the option of AHCI OR Raid... does this mean I don't get the benefits of AHCI if I go the RAID route?

- Do I still need to install the special RAID drivers from floppy during XP installation if I'm not installing the OS on those RAID drives?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but a search of the boards (and Google) didn't seem to point to much that was helpful

Thanks

Thumbkin

1, No. Setting between AHCI and RAID just defines whether the BIOS turns on the RAID BIOS component. The RAID drivers will still use AHCI components with the RAID Array in place. (or at least that is my understanding).

2, Depends. If the boot drive is on the same disk controller that's hosting the RAID array, (but not part of an array), then yes you'll need the floppy. If the boot drive is not attached to the same disk controller (which is hosting the RAID array), then no.

PS. Welcome to SR.

1, No. Setting between AHCI and RAID just defines whether the BIOS turns on the RAID BIOS component. The RAID drivers will still use AHCI components with the RAID Array in place. (or at least that is my understanding).

2, Depends. If the boot drive is on the same disk controller that's hosting the RAID array, (but not part of an array), then yes you'll need the floppy. If the boot drive is not attached to the same disk controller (which is hosting the RAID array), then no.

PS. Welcome to SR.

Thanks for the intel and the welcome!

PS. Welcome to SR.

I was looking for the same info.

Thanks a lot!

Shouldn't you be thanking gigabyte for the intel? ;)

Welcome to the P35 club though. I'm a new member of this club myself. So far, I haven't had any experiences I can complain about with the controller. A little tinkering and you can get to know it well. Also, you might want to download the latest drivers/utility for that controller directly from Intel in case Gigabyte is giving you the old version. Latest is 7.60..1011

Raid 5 seems to work pretty nicely with this controller as well. Initialization is a bear tho

P.S. - Intel has an F6 floppy with the same driver version on there. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I took the time to snag that as well before installing Windex

Edited by xSAKx

Surely?

I have the same motherboard and when I enabled RAID it says clearly when it boots that "AHCI BIOS NOT INSTALLED" and when I switched to AHCI in BIOS it then reports "AHCI Driver Installed".

and in the BIOS it also states you choose either AHCI or RAID...

is there any other way to confirm that both are enabled?

It would be really disappointing if both options can't be used in tandem, wouldn't it? :(