dummnutzer

Raptor + NVidia G80 = Vista problems ?

THG, once a reputable web site, claims that using a WD 1500 ADFD in combination with any modern NVidia G80 graphic card results in massive problems under Vista.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/06/25/w...ice-with-vista/

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/WD...pict242262.html

The response to said article was mixed, about half the users discussing it agreed and described similar problems, while the other half seemed to have no problems whatsoever with this configuration. The article itself is no longer linked on the main page of THG.

I have been running two older 74 G Raptors together with a G 8800 GTX for some time under Vista 64 without any problems whatsoever, but they are still using a SATA bridge, while the WD 1500 ADFD no longer uses such chips IIRC.

Any explanations for or experiences with said alleged problem? Any info would be appreciated.

I have to build another gaming system soon, and would normally use two Raptors (OS & games) and a large 7200RPM drive for data. Currently, there is no alternative to NVidia, if one needs a performance graphics card. I dislike using one or two Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 instead of the Raptors, as I remember replacing several IBM Deathstars in our little law firm.

Thanks for any info.

I bought a new system aroudn vista 32-bit and bought this drive because it was recommended here.

I also bought a BFG 8800GTS OC2 650MB board.

I have been plauged by random lockups in vista since I got the machine. I've already replaced the RAM and motherboard. Just tonight I came across the interaction between these two components.

From my end, that would explain things. I can't fix a solution to the problem, so I'm leaning toward replacing the raptor with something else, perhaps the Hitachi that is recommended here as well.

VERY DIGUSTED

Woah. I've heard of driver slowdowns but nothing like this. Have yet to encounter it in my production here too, although I don't build any gaming desktops so that would be why...

The article still doesn't draw a final conclusion though, I'm wondering what the deal is...

I bought a new system aroudn vista 32-bit and bought this drive because it was recommended here.

I also bought a BFG 8800GTS OC2 650MB board.

I have been plauged by random lockups in vista since I got the machine. I've already replaced the RAM and motherboard. Just tonight I came across the interaction between these two components.

From my end, that would explain things. I can't fix a solution to the problem, so I'm leaning toward replacing the raptor with something else, perhaps the Hitachi that is recommended here as well.

VERY DIGUSTED

Maybe it is just Vista 32. If it was working in XP, MS needs to fix it.

I have been (trying to) build up a new machine for the last 2 weeks, and have been experiencing something that may well be the problem noted here.

Machine:

-- ABIT IP35 Pro MB

-- 4GB OCZ PC2 6400

-- Core Duo 7850

-- EVGA 8800 GTS

-- Raptor 150 as boot disk (on raided intel matrix controller)

-- 4xSeagate 750 in RAID 10

-- Vista 32

All went fine with the build and Vista install. But once Vista was installed, I stared getting disk hangs on the Raptor followed by BSODs after anywhere from 5 to 60 minutes after reboot. Never could keep the system up for more than an hour.

Tried:

-- Replace all cables

-- Replace Raptor 150 with a new like drive

-- Memtest86+ all clean

-- OS reinstall

-- Update BIOS, etc.

No joy.

Tried:

-- Replace Raptor 150 with a Seagate 500 as the boot drive; reinstall OS

All is well!

I did not do any experimentation with changing out the nVidia card. But my net conclusion is that the Raptor was not playing nice in this configuration. The article in Tom's Hardware about this topic suggested odd corruption in Vista, but not disk hangs and BSODs. I did *not* see those problems. But something was really wrong in the system I described above, totally fixed by getting rid of the Raptor.

YMMV

pmf

Edited by philf1217