besonen

reliability database

how does one go about viewing the data in the reliability database?

when i clicked on the 'Reliability Survey' link i was presented with the opportunity to create an entry. no where did i see a link to view the existing data.

any help would be appreciated.

-- david

The original intent was to encourage a wider population of source data. Eugene (and Davin, at the time) said the database has certain algorithms in place to weed out "junk" data. He could provide more detail about what exactly entails.

Every PC has a HDD (well almost every), so it shouldn't be much of an effort to make an accurate entry using any software that shows HDD info. I've made entry's for all the HDDs passed through my hands, including some of my friends' HDDs. After all, you have to make some input, not only use the info provided in the database.

PS: Btw, why isn't there an entry for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10?

Edited by Yuri_Georgiev

Same question.

Wanted to add mine to database, but can't find it.

Is there a way to manually add ST3320620AS to the survey (I'm new here)?

Same question.

Wanted to add mine to database, but can't find it.

Is there a way to manually add ST3320620AS to the survey (I'm new here)?

Ok, similar question. How does one get a model added to the database? I picked up a cheapo 200GB Maxtor from Fry's a little over a year ago. Label says it is a DiamondMax 21, 6A200V0 or STM3200820A. Where should I enter it in the database?

SR only tested the nearline version, the Barracuda ES. Enter your drives as the Barracuda ES, I assume?

Not sure what actual policy on that is.

The DB only contains reviewed drives.

Any thought to adding this to the benchmark database? It is sort of cumbersome to route through as is to do estimates on drives. You could leave out drives that don't meet your sample size criteria, like you do in the reviews. ;)

Example, I was about to buy the Caviar 750GB SE16, based on the database, but the reviews on Newegg seem to show a disproportionate amount of hot running, short lived and DOA drives. Reliability database seems to back this up.

I have no idea. I'm just a forum moderator, I don't get involved in anything beyond that here.

As for the reliability DB and newegg reviews, keep in mind people only generally post something when a drive is broken. When it works fine, 99.9% of users are dead silent about it. I consider both of them almost, but not quite, useless.

And drives being short lived or DOA-- if they die within a week or two, odds are good the drive was mishandled by the retailer on the way to you (e.g. Newegg, Mwave, ZZF, or just about anyone else), as mishandling causes a huge amount of drive failures.

The DB only contains reviewed drives.

What a way to wreck an otherwise excellent database.

I've tried to enter my drives on it, and half of them are missing. The Seagate 7200.10 for example. Or a Seagate Momentus 5400.2. (Some of the family are in the database, but some aren't!)

The database would be a superb resource, but the lack of so many drives just makes it a joke. Either there should be a way to enter every type of drive in it, or they should just blow it away and not bother.

7200.10 is similar to the Barracuda ES.

And yeah, the slowdown of reviews here is a huge impediment to the usefulness of the database, but since the database isn't random sampling anyway it's not all that useful to start with.

7200.10 is similar to the Barracuda ES.

And yeah, the slowdown of reviews here is a huge impediment to the usefulness of the database, but since the database isn't random sampling anyway it's not all that useful to start with.

Thanks for the comment about the ES. I'd not read about that drive before.

I disagree about the database, though. While the owners aren't a true random sample, all we care about is the sampling of drives. Maybe that's not random, but it should be good enough. If there are any trends (maybe users here treat their drives better than average, say?), that shouldn't unfairly benefit a particular brand or model. The database also seems to agree with reality. If you look up, say, the IBM 75GXP, renowned for being unreliable, it ranks in the 9th percentile.

Well, bad drives tend to be over-reported, since people having problems tend to complain while those without issues tend to say nothing...

As for the usefulness, it's there-- as you point out-- but it's fairly limited.