Sign in to follow this  
Jackal29A

SAS Vs SATA

Hi,

I'm considering getting 5 of the new Seagate's drives to build a RAID10 array (plus hot spare) on a Promise SAS enclosure + Adaptec's 4800SAS combo, I would like to know if there would any advantage in getting the SAS flavour instead of plain SATA given that drives are supposed to be the same internally. Any idea?

Cheers,

SAS and SATA are not the same internally. In terms of the guts SAS is an evolution of SCSI, and SATA an evolution of IDE. They use the same connectors, and SAS controllers can also recognize SATA drives. So, if you have a SAS based system, you have the option of using larger/slower/cheaper SATA drives.

Hi Bennt,

I was referring to Seagate's new 7.2k ES.2 series which are supposed to have very similar, if not the same, guts (same platters, heads, etc.) just differing in the SAS/SATA part. I think they more targeted to high capacity rather than high speed, which suits me fine.

Here's the link:

Segate ES.2

After reading the pdf, the only differences I found are the "full duplex" and SASmultipath capabilities, but I don't know how this translates into real world perfomance/advantages terms.

Since I'd be using them for a not so heavily used file server, I just wondered if there would be any "real" gain over the WD5000YS I had in mind before these showed up.

Cheers,

its just a small niche market segment that seagate thinks some customers may want enterprise SAS interface performance with huge capacity file storage (excess of 750GB) that existing sas 10krpm (maximum 300GB) cannot provide. I personally think speed difference will be small with both only 7200rpm unlike using SAS 10krpm and 15krpm. For high speed servers, trend growing towards using seagate SAS 146GB 2.5" 10krpm and SAS 2.5" 73GB 15krpm.