shoek

Advice Needed on Broken RAID5 Array

Hello all,

Before I proceeded in handling this, I thought I'd do some research and seek advice so I don't screw anything up.

I have a home server (Dual Athlon XP) with a HighPoint 1820A PCI-X 8-port SATA card. I upgraded the array about 6 months ago to 8 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB drives. All was fine until a power outage here and when things came back up, the controller was complaining that the array was broken and that drive 4 was missing.

Drive 4 is spinning and is recognized by the controller, so it is functioning at some level.

The remaining 7 drive array is listed as "Critical" but is still accessible -- all of my data appears to be there, speed is probably off a bit. Drive 4 is listed as "Disabled", with the option to delete it from the array.

I went ahead and ordered another drive. My plan is to replace drive 4 with the new drive, then walk thru the web-based management software to add the new disk to the array. My understanding is that it will rebuild that disc's parity contents at that point, which is faster within Windows than thru the BIOS according to HighPoint. Do I have to delete the existing drive 4 from the array first before I power down to do the drive swap?

Anything else I need to do or watch out for? I realize that HighPoint doesn't provide the best documentation or tools, but then again this is a somewhat smaller scale than what is required in a business setting.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

-shoek

Unless someone has used the same controller, it's difficult to say. Maybe a more experienced member will chime in with some how-to for you. Still, I think I'd call/email Highpoint for advice. Keep us informed.

Your drive still might be fine. I used to have a 1820A and it was kind of finicky about power outages.

Try erasing the drive using the drive utilities and running diagnostics. If it checks out, its probably ok. In my experience, the Highpoint utility would never import a drive that had simply dropped from the array without erasing the drive first.

After that, you should be able to plug the disk (or your new disk back in), start up the PC, and tell the card to use the blank drive to rebuild the array.

I don't recall having to delete the drive from the array or anything like that.