Christmas_In_August

7200.10 upgrade to 250G/plane

Yes, but these are drives with reduced height, hence increased seek time because of the smaller actuator. Performance wise souldn't do miracles.

Can't wait for cuda 7200.11 :)

Edited by Yuri_Georgiev

Guest 888

It's official now. Press release from Seagate (June,7):

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?loca...000f5ee0a0aRCRD

They claim: "Seagate Ships the World's Highest Areal Density Desktop Drive to Extend Perpendicular Magnetic Recording Leadership" and "Seagate today announced that it has begun worldwide volume shipments of the industry's first 250GB-per-disc, 3.5-inch disc drive"

Unfortunately, this claiming "first" isn't just very correct as Samsung already lists couple of new single-platter 250GB drives on its website...

In the press release referred above Seagate also mentions that this new 250GB platter will be the base for their 1TB drive but still no mention about when this 1TB unit will be available... I expected it to be for the current Computex show but looks like probably not yet...

Unfortunately, this claiming "first" isn't just very correct as Samsung already lists couple of new single-platter 250GB drives on its website...

How and why did Samsung make such a big jump?

I thought their latest drive was a 500 gb 3 platter version for only 166 gb/platter.

Guest 888

I thought their latest drive was a 500 gb 3 platter version for only 166 gb/platter.

Samsung has really made a surprisingly big step up during latest months. BTW, they already have also 2.5" drives 200GB/7200rpm and 250GB/5400rpm, which are just on the very front of today's technology. In fact they were the first company to put these out (but without any bigger promotion campaign). Now I will not be surprised if they go even more ahead letting all other companies behind... And not only in capacity - Samsung's latest drive families have also superb real-life performance, they are very quiet (except vibration) and relatively cool-running. Reliability isn't still confirmed yet (let them some more time now).

Any idea when we'll see 750s based on the platters?
Probably whenever we'll see the 1TB 7200.11's arrive, or slightly after.

Sooner the better, I want to see 80$ 500gb's and 160$ 750gb's damnit.

Samsung demonstrated 250GB-platter drives in Seoul some weeks ago. It wasn't exactly a big jump, but only that Samsung's not very popular here on SR.

Samsung demonstrated 250GB-platter drives in Seoul some weeks ago. It wasn't exactly a big jump, but only that Samsung's not very popular here on SR.

I wouldnt say they arnt popular here. I own 2 of the 250 gigs with 125 gig platters. I bought one cause of its low noise and gool linear transfer rate. Then 8 mths later I got another cause I liked how quiet it was. They seem good quality to me, but I realize they are hadly a huge market share or widly spoken about for their drives. I'd certainlly buy them again, and if the price and noise on their 333 platter 1TB drives turns out good I'll probably have another soon.

2004010186547026855_rs.jpg

minimum material used.

2004046204472877855_rs.jpg

The average STR is really off the chart. Very fast. :ph34r:

2004054181591915333_rs.jpg

Same thing :blink: