imsabbel

Samsung F series?!

Any words on when the 334gb and 668 versions are coming? And if the HD103UJ is the 3 platter 4 platter one?

The HD103UJ is the 3platter version. I don't know when the 320GB and 640GB version will arrive on market, but I've seen 2 different HD Tach/transfer tests of the 750 GB version. This version is clearly slower - between 95-108 MB7sec max. So if you want full speed, you better wait for 320/640 drives - or spend the extra money for the 1 GB model.

Any words on when the 334gb and 668 versions are coming? And if the HD103UJ is the 3 platter 4 platter one?

The HD103UJ is the 3platter version. I don't know when the 320GB and 640GB version will arrive on market, but I've seen 2 different HD Tach/transfer tests of the 750 GB version. This version is clearly slower - between 95-108 MB7sec max. So if you want full speed, you better wait for 320/640 drives - or spend the extra money for the 1 GB model.

That seems odd since it should use the same 3platter design as the 1TB version..

That seems odd since it should use the same 3platter design as the 1TB version..

The F1 500/750gb is a 3/4 x 250gb not 334 per platter like the 1tb

Edited by Mech0z

Does anyone have more info about the RAID version and how [specifically] it differs? Obviously higher MTFR...

Hartware published the full review. The F1 is a lot quieter than all the other drives except the Caviar GP.

http://www.hartware.de/review_771.html

They also report that the SpinPoint F2 ist already planned and that it may use 500 Gbyte Platter because the top product will have a capacity of 1,5 Tbyte!!!

http://www.hartware.de/news_43643.html

Use google to translate if needed

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...en&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Ork-Basher

Hartware published the full review. The F1 is a lot quieter than all the other drives except the Caviar GP.

http://www.hartware.de/review_771.html

They also report that the SpinPoint F2 ist already planned and that it may use 500 Gbyte Platter because the top product will have a capacity of 1,5 Tbyte!!!

http://www.hartware.de/news_43643.html

Use google to translate if needed

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...en&ie=UTF-8

There was an article published on a ziff davis chinese website a month ago when Samsung made the announcement of a 1.5TB drive in 2008.

That article clearly stated twice that the 1.5TB drive would be 4 platters..

This would mean..

1500GB = 4x 375GB/platter

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%...=en&ie=UTF8

Samsung in Beijing dish 1 TB first three drives in 2008 will be postponed four CDs 1.5 TB

Samsung Electronics semiconductor business Storage Systems senior manager Park In-cheol speech, he interviewed after the meeting said Samsung will be launched by the four disc drives designed 1.5 TB

Edited by parity

The F1 500/750gb is a 3/4 x 250gb not 334 per platter like the 1tb

Not according to Samsung:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...&ppmi=1155#

On Samsung page, it is written "Max. 334GB Formatted Capacity per Disk ".

It seems to be a quite dangerous marketing strategy here: they put their density as first argument, but does not ensure that all drives are using this density!

If it is proved that the 500/750 GB drives are using 250GB disk, the reputation of the Samsung F1 may fail quite quickly...

Here the possible combinations with 334 GB per disk, i.e. what we are waiting for F1 products:

1 disk, 1 head: 167 GB --> HD16xGJ using 96% of the disk?

1 disk, 2 heads: 334 GB --> HD32xHJ GB using 96% of the disk? HD25xHJ using only 75%??

2 disks, 3 heads: 501 GB --> HD50xIJ using 100% of the disks?

2 disks, 4 heads: 668 GB --> HD642JJ using 96%?

3 disks, 5 heads: 835 GB --> HD753LJ using 90%?

3 disks, 6 heads: 1002 GB --> HD103UJ using 100% of the disks

If only they could add such information in their specs (as hitachi does)!

Edited by Eric B

A danish store now has HD252KJ (250gb spinpoint f1)to arrive today, do you think this would be a good system disk? I have a T166 ordered right now, but would like to have a dedicated system disk and wanted to wait for the 334gb version. But this be the same speed as the 334gb ?

Samsung says, "Max. 334GB Formatted Capacity per Disk". Don't miss the "Max." As long as the drive does not have platters that exceed 334 GB formatted capacity per disk, it satisfies the specs. If the 1TB F1 has 334 GB platters and the smaller F1s have 250 GB platters (or perhaps even 166 GB platters...), they satisfy the specs.

Samsung says, "Max. 334GB Formatted Capacity per Disk". Don't miss the "Max." As long as the drive does not have platters that exceed 334 GB formatted capacity per disk, it satisfies the specs. If the 1TB F1 has 334 GB platters and the smaller F1s have 250 GB platters (or perhaps even 166 GB platters...), they satisfy the specs.

We already knew this.

We know even more!

The 1TB version has the 334GB platters

The 750GB has the old 250GB platters

The 640GB version has 334GB platters

The 320 has 334GB platter

The 160 probably has 334GB platter with just one side for usage (so 320/2).

Still no 320 or 640 GB version listed here in Germany <_<

Not sure if it will come at all...

I just want the fastest SATA drive for my Computer. And it should be cool & quiet as well, so Raptor seems not to be the right choice. On the other hand, a 1 TB F1 provides far too much space for my system disk. And it's expensive, just about ~230 Euros.

I'd love to buy a 320 or even a 640 GB version.

Samsung, just do it!

:lol:

Have a nice day!

Manta70

Still no 320 or 640 GB version listed here in Germany <_<

Not sure if it will come at all...

I'd love to buy a 320 or even a 640 GB version.

Samsung, just do it!

It seems they still have problems producing 334GB platters as much as the market demands. All the 334 platters go into 1TB hard drives, because they have to compete on 1TB market with other producers. Samsung was late with its first 1TB drive which means they allowed their competitors to take some market share from them. 750 and 500 GB hard drives don't require 334 GB platters, so they put lower density platters in them.

I don't know how long it is going for them to sort it out and make their factories spew out enough 334GB platters. But it's always hard in the beginning and over time the production becomes cheaper and they will start applying some pressure on other producers price wise and will start shipping 320 and 640 GB versions :). At that point price per GB will start to decrease, as it has been approximately on the same level for about 9 month. In April 2007 the cheapest price per GB was samsung with three 166GB platters for 87-90 euros, now it's about 82 euros in Europe. I guess by the end of the year 3x250GB drives might retail for less than 100 euros.

a quick heads-up for those of you thinking about purchasing this drive. there's a major conflict between nforce 6 series motherboards running vista (32- and 64-bit) with the latest 15.08 drivers. the system will freeze after a few minutes, without even so much as a blue screen to help you figure out what's going on. you'll have to unplug your PC just to turn in off. i just spent the last few days in computer troubleshooting hell before i got smart and started googling.

the solution is to downgrade your drivers to 15.01. then, make sure your SATA controller shows up under "IDE/ATAPI Controllers" in the device manager. if it shows up under "Storage Controllers", you're boned.

other than that, i'd highly recommend this drive. it's bitchin' fast!

a quick heads-up for those of you thinking about purchasing this drive. there's a major conflict between nforce 6 series motherboards running vista (32- and 64-bit) with the latest 15.08 drivers. the system will freeze after a few minutes, without even so much as a blue screen to help you figure out what's going on. you'll have to unplug your PC just to turn in off. i just spent the last few days in computer troubleshooting hell before i got smart and started googling.

the solution is to downgrade your drivers to 15.01. then, make sure your SATA controller shows up under "IDE/ATAPI Controllers" in the device manager. if it shows up under "Storage Controllers", you're boned.

other than that, i'd highly recommend this drive. it's bitchin' fast!

The solution is NOT using crap like Windows. Works great on Mac OS X.

The solution is NOT using crap like Windows. Works great on Mac OS X.

Well, the OS wouldn't really matter. But I do agree with you ....

OS X > XP/Vista

So now we're half way thru Jan and still no signs of the 320 and 640GB version of spinpoint F1, A month and half ago people were asking about these.

Are they coming out this year at all, or should I look a the hitachi 500 series 250GB per platter. Not as good density which means slower read/right speeds or wait.

I dont mind waiting but if the drive is not available in 3 months I may have to get something else for my upgrades.

The model Ive been waiting for is HD642JJ 2 platter drive.

WELP a friend of mine bought a new 1TB F1 and it came with the master cylinder error that people have been reporting on Newegg. He's going to return it for a 7K1000 because Samsung support knows nothing about the error even though it is distressingly common. See more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRevie...False&Page=

Samsung appears to be pulling an Xbox 360 and is shipping a bunch of faulty product, so you might want to avoid the F1 for a couple months until this is figured out.

Edited by Loomy

WELP a friend of mine bought a new 1TB F1 and it came with the master cylinder error that people have been reporting on Newegg.

Just to add another data point: I just bought 4 of these from Newegg for use in a RAID5 setup and they're working beautifully so far...

WELP a friend of mine bought a new 1TB F1 and it came with the master cylinder error that people have been reporting on Newegg.

Just to add another data point: I just bought 4 of these from Newegg for use in a RAID5 setup and they're working beautifully so far...

Did they all pass the Samsung Hutil test? If you haven't tried it yet, you can download the iso from their website, burn it to CD, and boot from it to test them.