imsabbel

Samsung F series?!

Hopefully it comes out soon, as I really need to order a TB in the next couple of weeks.

The 750GB models are in-stock now. The 750GB model would suit me fine as its

enough space for me and its a good price. What I would like to see first is a review.

I am looking at maybe upgrading my P4 to a PX4 (phenom X4) so it would be good

to have a fast HDD to go with it.

Where did you see them in-stock?

BTW, Samsung has apparently just announced their 1.5 TB drive in China and they indicated the F1 has started shipping but is not officially for sale yet (they had some dancing girls at the announcement too):

I think they are on to something here, just announce stuff, never actually deliver anything :D

I hereby like to announce my new disk-family "Spinning Vapour X" availble (well... maybe not...) in capacities up to 10 TB for $299. Not only solid state but frozen state deliverad in liquid helium.

Guest 888
FIRST BENCHMARK !!!!!!!!!

Nice. Just matching exactly with expected (previously theoretically calculated) numbers... up to 125MB/s STR at the beginning. Average STR 98MB/s is impressive too. Access time 14.6ms is not bad for Samsung (they haven't been very fast in that aspect but no problems).

Now waiting for real life performance benchmarks. Which may become pretty good because of earlier Samsung firmwares have been relatively strong performers.

Another news on topic:

Samsung F1 series has also 640GB version (2x334GB platters) listed now!

HD642JJ

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...2&ppmi=1155

Very probably just 320GB, 640GB and 1TB will be the recommended capacity points during couple of next years when also other manufacturers take 334GB platters into major use...

640GB = 596.04GiB

Did a very quick Google and came across a Swiss site selling it here. It's green so supposedly in-stock (and at £108, not that expensive by UK standard!).

good price, too bad they only dispatch locally.

6.3 1000ordi SA dispatches its products only in Switzerland and in Liechtenstein.

The 750GB drives are in stock at a wholesaler in Australia - Ingram Micro , they had 60 yesterday and now have 58 so two of them obviously were sold yesterday. Usuauly if ingram has them everyone else got them a few days before since they are not the cheapest place and are more targeting systems integrators and smaller computer shops.

What I would like to know is what is the deal with the 750GB version - is it the same 3 platter design as the 1TB but with the outer tracks disabled? or does it use a lower density platter (thus lower performance?).

I would be interested in the 640GB model if its just a two platter version of the 1TB, in fact it sounds fantastic.

The other question is when are they bringing out the "raid" version of the drive?

ALso has anyone heard anything more about another player in the 10K spin SATA market? Seagate was talking about it at one stage but nothing ever happened.

The performance is great. It's a bit higher than my 2 Samsung's HD300LJ 300GB in RAID0.

samsungyu6.jpg

Samsung HD103UJ offered newly in Czech Republic (257-323€ without VAT). Term of delivery isn't known, but I hope it will be soon available.

What I would like to know is what is the deal with the 750GB version - is it the same 3 platter design as the 1TB but with the outer tracks disabled? or does it use a lower density platter (thus lower performance?).

I would be interested in the 640GB model if its just a two platter version of the 1TB, in fact it sounds fantastic.

If you look at the specs of the F1 series, then you'll find the weight of the various harddisks to be a strong indicator of how many platters are employed:

single platter models F1 160-320GB: 470 grams

dual platter models F1 500-640GB: 610 grams

triple platter models F1 750-1000GB: 640 grams

If you look at the specs of the F1 series, then you'll find the weight of the various harddisks to be a strong indicator of how many platters are employed:

single platter models F1 160-320GB: 470 grams

dual platter models F1 500-640GB: 610 grams

triple platter models F1 750-1000GB: 640 grams

good idea, and nice eye. thanks for the tip

Edited by Spartus

Guest 888

According to the model code abbreviation HD75xLJ the 750GB model has 6 heads (and not 5 heads which sounds more suitable for this capacity). That means the 750GB models are either reformatted/short-stroked 1TB ones (probably including a lot of half-failed 1TB ones?) or they are just using lower density platters (this must be easily find out after some HDtach testing).

Yes it really sounds nice and may become really popular if only mass users and marketing catch the idea. Its model code just refers to the 4 heads assembly, so it must be a good complete-construction model.

The other question is when are they bringing out the "raid" version of the drive?

At least it is listed already on their website. SpinPoint F1RAID series:

HE103UJ 1TB/32MB

HE753LJ 750GB/32MB

HE502IJ 500GB/16MB

HE322HJ 320GB/16MB

How important is random access times (in what instances would it be advantageous)? I'm wondering because I'm trying to decide if I should use this drive (significantly more space) over the 150GB Raptor?

I'm using one of the drives above as my main OS/Apps drive, and I just recently bought the WD "Green Power" 1TB drive for my storage drive (because of how quiet it is)....

Uh, no, they're not...

Did you actually try clicking on any of the shopping links for any of the US vendors listed in that thread? They all show backorder or out of stock-- exact same as they showed the last time I clicked on the SPCR thread the same day that post was made.

Is there a 2 platter 666gb version or 500gb version? is it still 3 year warranty? :/

I heard that there's going to be a 640GB 2 platter version... I guess they thought 666 was bad for marketing :lol:

Is there a 2 platter 666gb version or 500gb version? is it still 3 year warranty? :/

I heard that there's going to be a 640GB 2 platter version... I guess they thought 666 was bad for marketing :lol:

My old Hitachi 160GB is 164GB so it's possible that Samsung says it's 640 for marketing but decides to let the people use more space

According to the model code abbreviation HD75xLJ the 750GB model has 6 heads (and not 5 heads which sounds more suitable for this capacity). That means the 750GB models are either reformatted/short-stroked 1TB ones (probably including a lot of half-failed 1TB ones?) or they are just using lower density platters (this must be easily find out after some HDtach testing).

thats very interesting

but for what stands the U in the 1tb model?

it should have got 6 heads and withit a L?!

the 750gb F1 is available in germany

it is slightly more expensive than a wd75000aaks and a hitachi 7k1000 but cheaper than a seagate 7200.10 or 7200.11

Guest 888

but for what stands the U in the 1tb model?

it should have got 6 heads and withit a L?!

"U" stands exactly for the same like "L" but marks that the number "10x" before it does not mean 100GB but 1.00TB.

(not official information but I have got this idea that way)

Seems like they're in stock at a number of German sites now.

Received an email from HardwareVersand.de telling me they have 50.

265 euros (190 pounds).

I've ordered one.

Komplett in the UK is also listing them for 189.99 although they won't have them in stock until 10th December. They're expecting 40.