imsabbel

Samsung F series?!

A German shop updated availability to 1st of November. Usually there is 6-9 month gap between paper release and real availability. I guess they start shipping them in Jan-Mar.

OMG, and what year ?

A German shop updated availability to 1st of November. Usually there is 6-9 month gap between paper release and real availability. I guess they start shipping them in Jan-Mar.

OMG, and what year ?

Well, I've noticed from history there is usually about 6-9 month gap between the paper release and actual availability. The "release" in June was a paper release. Add 6-9 month we get the end of December as the earliest possible availability. With the last hard drives of 1TB and before that 750GB from other manufacturers there was even longer than 6 month wait between the papar release and real availability, so it might take as much as 9 month or more. I would guess if it won't be available by March 2008, it will in June 2008 with pretty high probability.

OMG, and what year ?

Well, I've noticed from history there is usually about 6-9 month gap between the paper release and actual availability. The "release" in June was a paper release. Add 6-9 month we get the end of December as the earliest possible availability. With the last hard drives of 1TB and before that 750GB from other manufacturers there was even longer than 6 month wait between the papar release and real availability, so it might take as much as 9 month or more. I would guess if it won't be available by March 2008, it will be in June 2008 with pretty high probability.

I'm quite disappointed, too, that Samsung keeps us waiting for the F1.

But please consider, that Samsung announced its value line, the S250 series (with 250 GB/platter), about the same time they did announce the F1. And the Samsung S250 is shipping since a few weeks - it´s definitely available at least here on the European market!

When the F1 was announced in June, it was not a mere paper release; the drive was already listed on many price lists of shops; and time of delivery was initially July. So, in this case, I think it´s just som unexpected issues with the manufacturing of the drive that keeps it from hitting the market - not a planned delay.

Uwe

Are they selling the prototypes on eBay?

Yeah I'm sure they would ship them downunder for that :P

Umm, then why just six?

Remember, the June 20, 2007 product announcement said, " Samsung's SpinPoint F1 Series is currently shipping with a $399 MSRP." Do you think they shipped a prototype from the lab in Korea to the repair facility in Japan via FedEx on June 19th... by second day air? :D

Umm, then why just six?

Perhaps that's all he could afford to buy?. Why don't you message the guy selling and ask him if you're that curious as I have no solid answers. Obviously they're now available (admittedly in low numbers) and are thus not vaporware.

Historically Samsung drives have always been slow to market and been available elsewhere in retail sector before NTH America gets them. Quite a few Australian online stores have been listing them for a few weeks now with a 1-3 day order in or drop shipment. Up until now though I've not seen them listed as actually 'stocked' by anyone except this person selling on ebay. Make of it what you will. I was only advising that I had finally seen stock.

Why don't you message the guy selling and ask him if you're that curious as I have no solid answers.

Sorry, Watcher, I'm not curious and I have solid answers. ;)

Sorry, Watcher, I'm not curious and I have solid answers. ;)

Let's have them then (the solid answers) instead of the speculation, jokes, and innuendo as to whether they're prototypes.

Let's have them then (the solid answers) instead of the speculation, jokes, and innuendo as to whether they're prototypes.

Sorry, Watcher, I can't post them publicly - you must be able to understand that company business trumps blogosphere information dissemination? But rest assured, the truth always come out in the end. And if I have misled anyone, I will be answerable for that.

And Samsung has nothing to be afraid of if it has been telling the truth. Didn't John Milton (in The Areopagitica) put it best:

"[T]hough all the winds of doctrine were let loose to play upon the earth, so Truth be in the field, we do injuriously by licensing and prohibiting to misdoubt her strength. Let her and Falsehood grapple; who ever knew Truth put to the worse in a free and open encounter?"

So let the games begin. The truth will be known, and men (and corporations) will always reap what they sow.

I'll believe when someone will actually hold one in their hands.

SileX, posting on SPCR, Joined 29 Aug 2007

StoX, posting on SR, Joined 4-September 07

BTW, Samsung has apparently just announced their 1.5 TB drive in China and they indicated the F1 has started shipping but is not officially for sale yet (they had some dancing girls at the announcement too):

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&am...08/619479.shtml

BTW, Samsung has apparently just announced their 1.5 TB drive in China and they indicated the F1 has started shipping but is not officially for sale yet (they had some dancing girls at the announcement too):

Well, that is really GREAT news! The girls, I mean...

:-)

I'll believe it when I see it. I know samples are out in the wild, but it looks like Samsung is having issues bringing these drives to full-rate production, which is why store stock looks to be either completely unavailable or only a trickle. I personally do not know anyone who has had any luck actually ordering one of these drives from a retail channel and getting one (yet). I do hope that changes soon, but I'm not holding my breath!

StoX, if you order one and get it in your hands, I'd love to see benchmarks and pictures!

From the link...

Samsung Electronics held in Beijing conference, announced that the world premiere Spinpoint F1 series, it is learned that the product has started shipping last week, but not officially for sale.

Hopefully it comes out soon, as I really need to order a TB in the next couple of weeks.

The 750GB models are in-stock now. The 750GB model would suit me fine as its

enough space for me and its a good price. What I would like to see first is a review.

I am looking at maybe upgrading my P4 to a PX4 (phenom X4) so it would be good

to have a fast HDD to go with it.