Hi guys,

This is my first post here, i have newbie question on Raid.

I have 2 x 500G HD, and created Raid 0 (100G) and the rest is Raid 1.

Is this good idea ? in term of performance and recovery if HDD failure in the future ?

Thanks

Is this good idea ? in term of performance and recovery if HDD failure in the future ?

If I understand correctly you use Intel Matrix storage and have one RAID0 array of 100GB and a RAID1 array of 450GB from 2 500GB hds?

I can be a good choice depending on what you want to do. If one hard disk fails, you'll lose all data from that 100GB partition, on other hand, that partition will have higher transfer speed (read/write), but access time won't change. If you plan to put your OS on that partition, make sure to move your documents, email & improtant stuff on the mirror partition.

I used to do something like that. I had 6 disks : 2 in mirror for the OS and 4 in matrix with 1 partition in RAID5 for data + 1 partition in RAID0 for game installation (helped because those games had huge files to load, and it was noticeably faster, while I didn't care if I lost them, I could just reinstall). I also used that RAID0 partition for video edition work files.

If I understand correctly you use Intel Matrix storage and have one RAID0 array of 100GB and a RAID1 array of 450GB from 2 500GB hds?

I can be a good choice depending on what you want to do. If one hard disk fails, you'll lose all data from that 100GB partition, on other hand, that partition will have higher transfer speed (read/write), but access time won't change. If you plan to put your OS on that partition, make sure to move your documents, email & improtant stuff on the mirror partition.

I used to do something like that. I had 6 disks : 2 in mirror for the OS and 4 in matrix with 1 partition in RAID5 for data + 1 partition in RAID0 for game installation (helped because those games had huge files to load, and it was noticeably faster, while I didn't care if I lost them, I could just reinstall). I also used that RAID0 partition for video edition work files.

Yeah, Im using Intel Matrix storage and have one RAID0 array of 100GB and a RAID1 array of 450GB from 2 500GB hds.

So i will stay in this configuration then, can i just confirm that if for some reason one of the HDD failed.

I will only lost the 100Gb data at the Raid 0 partition, thus this 50G will be seen as unreadable, and i just need to reformat to reuse the space.

and if i want to re-do the Raid, all my data will be gone. is there other way not to lose the data ??

Thanks

Yeah, Im using Intel Matrix storage and have one RAID0 array of 100GB and a RAID1 array of 450GB from 2 500GB hds.

So i will stay in this configuration then, can i just confirm that if for some reason one of the HDD failed.

I will only lost the 100Gb data at the Raid 0 partition, thus this 50G will be seen as unreadable, and i just need to reformat to reuse the space.

and if i want to re-do the Raid, all my data will be gone. is there other way not to lose the data ??

No, it won't work quite that way.

First of all, if you lose the RAID 0, and have the OS on it, you lose your OS and can't access anything. Secondly, if you're splitting your drives in Matrix RAID "for performance and stability" at the same time, note that you shouldn't access the "stability" part much. Anytime you access the second array, you incur a seek from the beginning of the drives to the end of the drives, and this can cost you more than you supposedly gained by having RAID 0.

Thirdly, if you lose one drive, you can't access the extra space on the drive that's part of a RAID array until you replace the failed drive. Then the surviving RAID array can be rebuilt from degraded to healthy, and then you have one array, and some free space on both drives. You can use this to re-create another RAID 0 array (or RAID 1 if you learned your lesson..).

Finally, no RAID, no matter how good, will guarantee that you don't lose your data. You need an external off-line backup to be better protected.