Ron_Jeremy

Drive indexing

Nope. I know where my files are, so why would I want a service constantly slowing down my system just to marginally speed up the two or three searches I do a year?

I wonder if Google / MS / Vista desktop search work any more efficiently than the indexing service?

I'm assuming that's what he's talking about (i.e. modern search engines), as opposed to the indexing service in 2000/XP, which was a semi-functional joke.

The one that's everywhere in Vista is a godsend and lightning fast. I particularly love what it's done for the Start menu.

BTW, unless you have a HUGE amount of data, indexing pretty much finishes its work early on, and you really never see it working obviously again, since your data only grows slowly in most cases. MS was also very smart about limiting the scope of what's indexed.

Now, SuperFetch, that's the troublemaker, since you CAN'T limit its scope. It precaches everything you've ever touched, no matter what size it is. 8GB VM file? Let's precache it. I disabled it early on.

Now, SuperFetch, that's the troublemaker, since you CAN'T limit its scope. It precaches everything you've ever touched, no matter what size it is. 8GB VM file? Let's precache it. I disabled it early on.

What's superfetch? Is that something in Vista, I've never come across it in Windows XP. I do set prefetcher to "2" (prefetch boot files only) in Windows XP.

Greetings!

What's superfetch? Is that something in Vista, I've never come across it in Windows XP. I do set prefetcher to "2" (prefetch boot files only) in Windows XP.
Its explained here:

http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=2917&p=4

It makes Vista feels snappier. That definately shouldnt be disabled.

If you dont have much RAM, you can use a flash USB to enable ReadyBoost:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/02/08/analy...ta_ready_boost/

I definitely think that you can't say SuperFetch definitely shouldn't be disabled, since it's behind one of the most common complaints about Vista: "Why is my disk light solid red so often?". Read some of the debate about it here:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...hreadid=2000877

So for me it was a case of diminished returns: Do I want some apps to load a little faster at the cost of the system often feeling like I'm doing a mass file copy in the background?

No.

I will enable it again if/when MS allows us to configure it. First thing I'd do? Exclude my data drive, which contains massive VM and multimedia files. SuperFetch LOVES those.

Greetings!

Reading the AnandTechs thread, your system clearly have a problem with SuperFetch. Other systems might not have.

Actually, it doesn't, a couple people there were just an argumentative sort and refused to face the facts. I'm not the only one seeing this and it's easily documented, as I did in the thread. Note that those with 1GB or less will tend not to see it, because SuperFetch doesn't do much fetching with so little RAM.

Fortunately, I'm in position to have gotten MS's attention on this, and the suggestion for SuperFetch configurability is officially logged with them.