Sign in to follow this  
Aeridyne

Raid noob needs help

Alright, I have a lot of drives in my systems and i would like to make them faster.

I would like to take 2 drives and make them a raid 0.

I just bought an EVGA 650i motherboard off newegg and I have a pci ide controller card, I have also been looking at a few other dedicated raid cards for IDE, but i only know of 2 // Promise SuperTRAK100 and ADAPTEC AAA-UDMA.... Are there any others like those that are cheaper or cheaper and better?

I don't know which solution would be best, onboard raid, little pci ide controller raid, or a dedicated ide raid card. Obviously the dedicated card is probably the best, but cost is a HUGE factor, anything over 20 dollars puts a hurtin on me.

Finally, whichever solution you guys tell me is best, how should I use it? I think i know the basics; boot up, build a container, partition it and install windows and partition more for my other stuff? Or am i missing something?

Or would software raid be better?

How does software raid work? Do you install windows first and then try to add disks? That sounds funky so I'm probably missing something there too...

Run the onboard RAID or use software RAID.

For a proper hardware RAID card you're looking at a couple hundred bucks, minimum-- anything less than that is going to be garbage that software RAID will outperform.

edit: oh, PATA, not SATA... hmm... older PATA hardware RAID cards aren't too hard to find. If you want a 3ware 7506-4LP, I have a few I could be persuaded to part with. However you're probably best off with onboard or software RAID at this point.

Can you be a bit more specific about your needs? You mention RAID 0 because you want to make things faster. How fast, and for what? Also, what is your budget (yes, I got the point that you don't want to spend much :) )?

Can you be a bit more specific about your needs? You mention RAID 0 because you want to make things faster. How fast, and for what? Also, what is your budget (yes, I got the point that you don't want to spend much :) )?

Well what i plan on using it for is games loading faster, dvd rips, and my many OSs (xp, vista, ubuntu, etc.) I want all of it to go quick.

I am really mostly looking to use what I have, I think I have pretty much decided to go with the onboard raid... so i guess I just need to more about how to set it up and use it.

Ok, I have had a difficult time finding a nice IDE RAID controller, but i have found a few that look pretty good.

I already have a sabrent sbt-rdit (20 bucks on newegg)

I am looking at an LSI MegaRaid i4 // an Adaptec 2400A IDE RAID // Highpoint RocketRaid 454

however i do not know which one is better than the other....

Also i need it to be able to run in windows vista....

You don't need any RAID except perhaps RAID 1.

Right... and i came here so i could read your answer to tell me that and now I have decided i don't want raid anymore because i don't need it.... wtf?

I said i want more speed, comprende? Isn't that what this forum is for, so people can share info on how to implement the storage solutions that they need? How do you know i need raid 1? Did you even bother to read what i said? I will probably never run raid 1 in my life, i would rather have archived backups than have my OS go belly up and the changes made to both drives...

If you are going to make a feeble attempt at an answer to a post like that and not even begin to address the issue i was asking for help on, whats the point?

forgive me but i get tired of answers that do nothing to help

Aside from my ide issues, i decided to go with sata raid since the help i found for ide was a bit lacking...

either way thank you to those who did add some valuable information, much appreciated

Mmmm. A bit touchy, aren't we?

The reason why I said why you don't need RAID 0, is that it won't provide any worthwhile advantage for you. It's as simple as that. Add to that that you'll be running your array on a regular PCI card, thus competing with other PCI devices for bandwith, and your performance may in fact be lower.

Read this interesting thread.

i came here so i could read your answer to tell me that and now I have decided i don't want raid anymore because i don't need it.... wtf?

I said i want more speed, comprende? Isn't that what this forum is for, so people can share info on how to implement the storage solutions that they need? How do you know i need raid 1? Did you even bother to read what i said? I will probably never run raid 1 in my life, i would rather have archived backups than have my OS go belly up and the changes made to both drives...

If you are going to make a feeble attempt at an answer to a post like that and not even begin to address the issue i was asking for help on, whats the point?

forgive me but i get tired of answers that do nothing to help

Get a grip kid. How much did you pay for said advice? It's pretty humorous -- you received good advice and can't recognize it.

The bottom line is you're not going to see much speed with PATA drives and $20. Don't blame the messenger.