Sign in to follow this  
sram

Okay, I'm building a new box. Speed & Snappiness is what I wan

Nothing wrong with my current machine, but I just want to reward myself for doing great in one course I'm taking, and I think it is time to upgrade. I'll give my current box to my kids. It is better than having them annoy me.

In brief, here is my current config:

CPU: Athlon XP 3200+ Barton core

Ram: 1GB PC3200 Dual channel

Hard drives: Maxtor D740x 60 GB drive. and WD 2500JD 250GB drive. I used to have a 15k.3 for my widows, but it went down few months ago. I can feel the speed drop!

Gigabyte 7N400 Mobo

ATI 9800 128 MB video card.

Well, speed is all I want. I just hate to wait. Money is not a big issue, but it is not like I can spend it stupidly.

what I'm thinking:

Getting the 2.4 GHz quad core and overclock it a little.

I want to get the 1 terabyte drive from Hitachi, but I'm not sure. Should I get it and divide it into two partitions, one for windows and one for storage? It is actually fast enough! It is not much slower that a Raptor!should I get a raptor for windows? or should I get the Maxtor Atlas II SCSI drive for my windows!? I still have my Adaptec 29160 card working?

Should I consider RAID? Don't think so!

For Ram, I think i'll use 4GB of corsair fast memory.

Don't really care about video card..........I'll just get a decent 512MB one................Not a big gamer anymore!

I don't know about the mobo yet...........any advices??

I think I'll use windows xp 64-bit to run this machine. No intention for vista.

Thanks

Anything you mount that quad core onto is gonna fly, so I don't think you need much more to go on from a hardware perspective. Your choice of OS sucks; XP 64? I wouldn't advise it unless you already own it (& my apologies if you do). If you want a 64bit OS from MS, Vista Business is the way to go.

Your choice of OS sucks; XP 64? I wouldn't advise it unless you already own it (& my apologies if you do). If you want a 64bit OS from MS, Vista Business is the way to go.

I do own it but can you elaborate on why ? I don't want to get vista because I think it is still too new to own and requires more resources! And I want to use 4G's of ram.

Edited by sram

Your choice of OS sucks; XP 64? I wouldn't advise it unless you already own it (& my apologies if you do). If you want a 64bit OS from MS, Vista Business is the way to go.

I do own it but can you elaborate on why ? I don't want to get vista because I think it is still too new to own and requires more resources! And I want to use 4G's of ram.

Operating System:

XP 64 is a lame operating system at best. Very poor driver support, and overall hit or miss in general. If you go XP, go 32 bit to save the headache.

Vista on the other hand I recommend doing 64 bit. You wont regret it. Putting 4 Gigs of ram into Vista = Superfetch happiness. The more resources problem you state with vista isn't an issue at all with 4 gigs in vista, heck its not even with 2 gigs. Right now Im running a Q6600 with 4 Gigs of ram in Vista as I type this and loving it.

CPU:

Q6600 is a great chip, ive used them in the last few builds and it is definitely an awesome part.

Hard Drive:

The 1 TB Hitachi is definitely a bit expensive at the moment ($600 at newegg) and not really the best choice IMO.

Heck for that price you could get a Raptor 150 gig ($200) for the OS and a 750 Gig 7200.10 ($250) for storage and probably be happier.

Video Card:

Nvidia 8600GTS is a good choice here for full h.264 hardware decoding. Around 200 dollars and DirectX 10 Capable.

Ram:

4 Gigs of Corsair good.

However I recommend grabbing 2x2GB sticks of Patriot DDR2-800 5-5-5-12 RAM from newegg, as the timings on it are great for the price. Then if you somehow need more resources in the future you can up it to 8 gigs easily. (Using 4 sticks isnt an issue with the newer memory controllers)

Motherboard:

I like the Asus P5B-Deluxe Wi/fi motherboard quite a bit, and have used it in 4 Q6600 builds so far.

Gigabyte DS3 is a little more budget conscious and still nice.

Power Supply:

Please dont cheap out here, a Seasonic 550W S12+ is a good choice or the 600W S12. Good brands = Seasonic, Enermax, Silverstone (Zeus or Striders), PC-Power and Cooling(Overkill), and Antec Earth watts (Note only the earth watt antecs I will recommend)

I completely disagree with the previous two replies. XP x64 has served me well for over a year. No issues with driver support whatsoever. Anyway, if that's really the issue and you're building a new machine you can check to make sure there are drivers in advance. I doubt this will be a problem.

The posters above are just repeating dated information that mimics forum posts nearly two years old. Actually, it's because of bad information like this that I was dual booting 32 and 64 -bit Windows for a while. But after never having a problem with x64 and (literally) never booting into 32-bit Windows I wiped the extra partition.

If you want snappiness, make sure you don't cheap out on the HDD. The higher density of the 7K1000 is nice but for lots of small file accesses it's still impossible to ignore the benefit of a modern 10k or 15k drive.

If you want snappiness, make sure you don't cheap out on the HDD. The higher density of the 7K1000 is nice but for lots of small file accesses it's still impossible to ignore the benefit of a modern 10k or 15k drive.

I second that. STR isn't everything.

Vista on the other hand I recommend doing 64 bit. You wont regret it. Putting 4 Gigs of ram into Vista = Superfetch happiness. The more resources problem you state with vista isn't an issue at all with 4 gigs in vista, heck its not even with 2 gigs. Right now Im running a Q6600 with 4 Gigs of ram in Vista as I type this and loving it.

Okay, but won't the machine be less snappier with vista?

CPU:

Q6600 is a great chip, ive used them in the last few builds and it is definitely an awesome part.

I love the reviews at anandtech!!

Hard Drive:

The 1 TB Hitachi is definitely a bit expensive at the moment ($600 at newegg) and not really the best choice IMO.

Heck for that price you could get a Raptor 150 gig ($200) for the OS and a 750 Gig 7200.10 ($250) for storage and probably be happier.

I don't have to buy it from newegg ! It can be found cheaper somewhere else!

Video Card:

Nvidia 8600GTS is a good choice here for full h.264 hardware decoding. Around 200 dollars and DirectX 10 Capable.

okay

Ram:

4 Gigs of Corsair good.

However I recommend grabbing 2x2GB sticks of Patriot DDR2-800 5-5-5-12 RAM from newegg, as the timings on it are great for the price. Then if you somehow need more resources in the future you can up it to 8 gigs easily. (Using 4 sticks isnt an issue with the newer memory controllers)

I'm actually planning to only use 2 sticks.

Power Supply:

Please dont cheap out here, a Seasonic 550W S12+ is a good choice or the 600W S12. Good brands = Seasonic, Enermax, Silverstone (Zeus or Striders), PC-Power and Cooling(Overkill), and Antec Earth watts (Note only the earth watt antecs I will recommend)

I learned my lesson long ago. Will never go cheap here!

Edited by sram

I'm actually leaning toward this option. I just can't resist SCSI. Specially that I already have a SCSI controller ready.

I'm actually leaning toward this option. I just can't resist SCSI. Specially that I already have a SCSI controller ready.

What about an SSD :) sure, it's small, but with small files it really kicks ass.

Operating System:

XP 64 is a lame operating system at best. Very poor driver support, and overall hit or miss in general. If you go XP, go 32 bit to save the headache.

I TOTALLY disagree on the above comment. XP64 is built onto 2003 server SP1 kernel, therefore is much more solid than XP.

Drivers is the ONLY problem. Games also run as fast or faster than XP32.

If someone doesnt want to use Vista (for some reason), with 4GB of ram XP64 is the way to go. A 2003 server with some tweak to enable graphics would be another option.

Edited by Telstar The Sorcerer

Nothing wrong with my current machine, but I just want to reward myself for doing great in one course I'm taking, and I think it is time to upgrade. I'll give my current box to my kids. It is better than having them annoy me.

In brief, here is my current config:

CPU: Athlon XP 3200+ Barton core

Ram: 1GB PC3200 Dual channel

Hard drives: Maxtor D740x 60 GB drive. and WD 2500JD 250GB drive. I used to have a 15k.3 for my widows, but it went down few months ago. I can feel the speed drop!

Gigabyte 7N400 Mobo

ATI 9800 128 MB video card.

Well, speed is all I want. I just hate to wait. Money is not a big issue, but it is not like I can spend it stupidly.

what I'm thinking:

Getting the 2.4 GHz quad core and overclock it a little.

I want to get the 1 terabyte drive from Hitachi, but I'm not sure. Should I get it and divide it into two partitions, one for windows and one for storage? It is actually fast enough! It is not much slower that a Raptor!should I get a raptor for windows? or should I get the Maxtor Atlas II SCSI drive for my windows!? I still have my Adaptec 29160 card working?

Should I consider RAID? Don't think so!

For Ram, I think i'll use 4GB of corsair fast memory.

Don't really care about video card..........I'll just get a decent 512MB one................Not a big gamer anymore!

I don't know about the mobo yet...........any advices??

I think I'll use windows xp 64-bit to run this machine. No intention for vista.

Thanks

You want snappiness (I remember when I first went scsi from ide - like night and day, no way back) then you need 3 things:

1) A dual processor or a dual core (quad not really needed for general usage YET) E6600 or above

2) A lot of ram (4 gb ideal, with maybe room for more = get a 2x2gb kit instead of 4x1gb).

3) The fastest HD that money can buy. You will want either 15k scsi or SSD drive. How much capacity do you need for your windows and programs?

With 32 gb you can get a SSD for under 500$. You have a scsi controller already, so I would get a 15k scsi drive. Look over ebay for great deals on fujitsu units. Maybe two 146gb units for under 500$

I use ide/sata only for backups.

Mobo I would suggest the one I own: dfi 965-S or the newer p35 board (asus p5k deluxe gets my vote at the moment).

Operating System:

I TOTALLY disagree on the above comment. XP64 is built onto 2003 server SP1 kernel, therefore is much more solid than XP.

Drivers is the ONLY problem. Games also run as fast or faster than XP32.

That's why it sucks.

Also, XP just looks & feels sooo dated. I wouldn't put it on a brand new quad core setup, but that's just me.

If snappyness really was your goal you'd end up turning of the fancy ui's anyway.

I know I've always run XP on the classic style with all fancy menu options off except a few.

Makes a very noticeable difference.

Also, XP just looks & feels sooo dated. I wouldn't put it on a brand new quad core setup, but that's just me.

And Vista looks bad whatever you make it look like. The Aero look has NOTHING special that makes it worth using and personally it makes my stomach turn. Literally. And the "classic" look is a joke. It looks so fuzzy, the icons are that touch too flashy, ... If you want a decent Windows desktop, XP is it. If you need to have flashy and blingbling, get a vidcard that is well supported under Linux and run Beryl. At this point in time, Vista has no advantages over XP, either 32 or 64 bit. I'm going to build a new machine myself and Vista will only run in a virtual machine because I need to get acquainted with it for professional reasons. And like someone else mentioned, if you build new, you can buy parts that are supported on your OS of choice. BTW how is Vista driver support doing?

And Vista looks bad whatever you make it look like. The Aero look has NOTHING special that makes it worth using and personally it makes my stomach turn. Literally. And the "classic" look is a joke. It looks so fuzzy, the icons are that touch too flashy, ... If you want a decent Windows desktop, XP is it. If you need to have flashy and blingbling, get a vidcard that is well supported under Linux and run Beryl. At this point in time, Vista has no advantages over XP, either 32 or 64 bit. I'm going to build a new machine myself and Vista will only run in a virtual machine because I need to get acquainted with it for professional reasons. And like someone else mentioned, if you build new, you can buy parts that are supported on your OS of choice. BTW how is Vista driver support doing?

Vista's advantage over XP = Superfetch and Readyboost, look them up. Readyboost isnt nearly as impressive as superfetch though, but superfetch + lots of RAM is pretty amazing. Those 2 features alone make Vista a ton better than XP IMO. I could care less about aero glass.

Also Vista has MUCH better 64 bit driver support than XP 64 bit, although XP 32bit is still pretty much the best supported OS for drivers.

Yeah. Exactly, Ron. $300 buys you a new look. That's exactly why he shouldn't get it.

And if you're going to criticize an OS for having driver issues, are you seriously going to recommend Vista as the solution??? Please.

Yeah. Exactly, Ron. $300 buys you a new look. That's exactly why he shouldn't get it.

And if you're going to criticize an OS for having driver issues, are you seriously going to recommend Vista as the solution??? Please.

I really don't understand most of the nonsense you spewed. Have you been reading through this thread or did you just jump to the last post? Try shifting your brain out of neutral before the flapping of the gums. Vista 64 > XP 64, my friend.

Please calm down.

Should I really consider SSD ? I don't think it is worth it. Or are they feel faster than 15k scsi?

I want to get the Maxtor Atlas II, but I don't seem to be able to find it in ebay. I'll think I'll just get the Fujitsu. BUT I want to know: How does the new raptor feel compared to modern 15k drives? real-life performance......not benchmarks.

Will I be able to get Q6600 to QX6700 speeds with retail cooling, or should I get something fancy? I don't want to shorten the life of my cpu.

Also, what is the fastest possible ram I could get along with this cpu!? I don't know what timing is all about.....lazy to read.........!

As for the OS, I have decided. I'll use XP 32-bit for now and will upgrade later to vista when I feel it is time for it. I think this is a wise decision!

I'm a giga-byte fan, so I think I'll just get one of their mobos.

I'm totally calm :) I just found it humorous that it was implied XP64 has better driver compatibility than Vista64. But I digress...

I've built a few systems using Gigabyte's P965 series boards (& my personal machine as well) & have not had any issues. I would just get a 150GB Raptor & fold the Ebay/SCSI hand you want to play. If you need more space just add a secondary 'mainstream' disk. SSD can wait. I'd buy the Q6600 & not bother with any oc'ing. Nor would I bother with the ultra expensive ram. I've used Corsair 'value' or their cheapest TwinX stuff in all of my Core 2 Duo systems with great results (i.e., reliability). If you're staying with XP then 2GB should hold you unless you're a Photoshop guru or are heavy into those kinds of apps. Use 4GB for Vista64.

Well, I don't want the memory to be ultra expensive. Just fast enough and good for overclocking. I don't want my system to be bottle-nicked anywhere! I don't think I'll be able to resist OC. It is tempting with those highly overclockable core 2's

OK, First off all I wouldn't touch Vista w/ a 10ft pole. Who wants to run an OS that spends most of its time checking to make sure you aren't doing something MS/MPAA/RIAA doesn't want you to do! You might as well call it "XP turtle edition".

As for mobo's you might want to look at the new P35 chipset from Intel. Looks very sweet. Asus is releasing a p5k deluxe on June 4th.

Hdd's either a Raptor 150 w/ 2 WD 500's. OR a SCSI Atlas II (and controller) w/ 2 WD 500s for backup.

PSU's Seasonics and Silverstones are hard to beat. Look for 80+ certification and 120mm fan(s).

YMMV

But that is what I would be looking at.

I'm totally calm :) I just found it humorous that it was implied XP64 has better driver compatibility than Vista64. But I digress...

I didnt imply that, but I said that gaming performance is better on XP(64) than Vista(any version).

About drivers, is a hit or miss. You have to search if your components and peripherals have drivers for either BEFORE getting it. Simple :)

Wait a few months and all the new hardware will have drivers for vista64, while XP64 support is dropped.

Wait a few months and all the new hardware will have drivers for vista64, while XP64 support is dropped.

Well, that's why I said I will install winxp 32-bit then upgrade to vista when it is the right time.