Sign in to follow this  
Timie Millie

Self vs HP populating storage server

I am looking at the HPDL320 storage server for work and there is a huge premium for purchasing storage through HP as opposed to an empty server and buying off the shelf SATA drives. I'm not sure why this should be other than greed on HP's part? I would like hotplug so are there some SATA drives that will support it and some not? Or is it part of the spec that they have to be hotplug?

Thanks in advance,

Tim.

For a server you buy the real thing, not something cobbled together. And when you buy HP/IBM/Dell/FJ you stick with their parts unless you've got no other option simply because of system stability and warranty. These companies test their hardware and you know it will work. If it does not, they will make it work. That's why you often have to pay for a stupid 250 GB SATA drive from, say, IBM.

Also, most hot-plug drives from HP/IBM/etc. come pre-mounted in the hot-swap tray. So, if you want to buy something else you're also going to have to find and pay for the hot-swap trays. Getting them is not that easy, and they are expensive, so in the end it probably costs about the same if not more than just buying them straight from HP.

I agree with the above. Support, warranty (you might invalidate the server's warranty by using non-HP drives), the convenience of not having to source, pay for and fit the HP hot swap drive enclosures to the bare disks, and most of all the guarantee that it will all work, in RAID, with the controllers HP uses, without any problems.

That said, I thought I'd add that all SATA drives do electrically support hot swap as standard, as long as your OS, drivers, controller and chassis support hot swap.

However, HP do sell drives labelled as "Non Hot Plug" or NHP. This may relate to the type of chassis they come in, or it may demonstrate that I'm wrong about all drives being hot pluggable. So make sure you get the HP drives described as "Hot Plug".

Also, from the quickspecs:

NOTE: Serial ATA hot-plug capability and drive LEDs are not supported by the DL320

G5 embedded SATA storage controller.

So you need to make sure you specify a hot plug capable controller when you buy the server. This is only an issue with the low end servers.

Edited by Spod