Sign in to follow this  
Fraishus

Fourth-generation Raptor?

Hi,

I'm wondering what's going on with the next-generation of Raptor drives. I loathe buying more of the WD1500 series drives, as they're really starting to get a bit long in the tooth. They're still not even SATA 2.0. Well that doesn't matter so much, except that we see EVEN the new 1TB Hitachi drive *beating* or tying the Raptor in most all benchmarks, so Western Digital is going to have to do something to keep up. The current Raptor generation is at the end of its life before obsolescence. Bad time to buy.

With a 1 Terabyte drive that's just as fast as the Raptor, what's the point of even getting a Raptor? I'm waiting for the next generation of Raptors to come out which are not just "fast", but 2007-fast.

Any word on this?

-f

the new sata drives might have as fast str as the raptor due to the data density, but not as low seek ...

with higher datadensity the raptor will get higher str again ...

the new sata drives might have as fast str as the raptor due to the data density, but not as low seek ...

But when!?

I am just frustrated with the speed of drives in general.

Everything else moves forward, but it seems like storage technology is still in a dark time speed-wise.

It's a major bottleneck in our modern machines.

It holds back my compiles... cause the compiler has to deal with thousands of little files.

Edited by Fraishus

It holds back my compiles... cause the compiler has to deal with thousands of little files.
So upgrade to 10K or 15K drives already. Don't stick with 7200rpm units.

I deal with lots of small files myself, and I find that for me, the performance decrease from a 15K drive to a 10K drive is more than noticeable; although my needs are particular only to myself. I find it justifable to buy SCSI/SAS and 15K drives-- the cost is well worth the performance. Run your own testing and see if you can justify it!

But when!?

I am just frustrated with the speed of drives in general.

Everything else moves forward, but it seems like storage technology is still in a dark time speed-wise.

It's a major bottleneck in our modern machines.

I normally wouldn't recommend this, but in your specific case, using a software RAM disk to speed up your compiles might be justified. Just remember to copy any files you need from the RAM disk before you shut down or log off. :)

This also assumes that you have sufficient RAM currently in your system. If you don't, you should obviously add more RAM before starting to create RAM drives. ;)

Guest 888

The SSD is just exactly for you...

Yeah, now that the Hitachi 1TB drives have similar performance to Raptors, WD has to do something otherwise there will be no need for the Raptor line.

WD has to increase density dramatically, increase performance dramatically, or decrease prices dramatically for the Raptor line of products.

They can no longer command a price premium for a low density performance disk when there will be high density versions with very similar performance numbers.

Can you say 15K SATA 3GB/s? That is the only step I can think of that would keep people interested in Raptors.