Sign in to follow this  
HPVD

noticable differences?

Hello

i wonder about what kind of storage setup i should choose for a new workstation.

I often do storage drive demanding things at the same time, like compiling, searching for some phrases within several documents (not indexed search), decompressing large files, backups, sometimes scanning for virus...

Dualcore helps a lot but the bottle-neck now ist storage device.

That's why I'm thinking about setting up an Hardware Raid (areca sata pcie 256MB)

Which setup "feels" to be faster in daily usage:

2 drives @ 10000tpm as raid 1

3 drives @7200tpm as raid 5

both connected to the same HW-controller.

Will there be an NOTICEABLE difference in daily use between raid5 with drives with 7.200tpm and 10.000tpm ?

Even if READ- and write-cache is activated?

Best regards HPVD

Edited by HPVD

Which setup "feels" to be faster in daily usage:

2 drives @ 10000tpm as raid 1

3 drives @7200tpm as raid 5

both connected to the same HW-controller.

Will there be an NOTICEABLE difference in daily use between raid5 with drives with 7.200tpm and 10.000tpm ?

Even if READ- and write-cache is activated?

Best regards HPVD

Well, according to my experience, you'll need 6 7200rpm disks in RAID5 to reach the write performance of 2 raptor 10k disks in standalone/RAID1. This doesn't count that the raptors have lower access time, this will make a huge difference.

If Storage space is not an issue to you, I guess 2 Raptor 150GB in RAID-1 is what you are looking for. If you want increased speed and redundancy, you might look for 4 disks in RAID 10 (either raptor for low access time or cheap 7200rpm for high storage space)

Another option might be to use a mainboard with Intel ICH8R chipset, you could use matrix raid with 4 disks and have a RAID10 partition for OS and things requiring speed, and RAID5 for storage (expect write speed in the 25MB/s with cache activated)

an additional question:

if you have 2 disks with the same average write and read speed but different acess times e.g.

disk A 7200tpm 3,5"

disk B 10000tpm 2.5"

for database applications i know there's a speed difference but

will there be a huge difference in the "felt speed" in the situation described above?

an additional question:

if you have 2 disks with the same average write and read speed but different acess times e.g.

disk A 7200tpm 3,5"

disk B 10000tpm 2.5"

for database applications i know there's a speed difference but

will there be a huge difference in the "felt speed" in the situation described above?

It's generally strongly advised to use same hard disk brand & model for a RAID array. My best guess would be that using a RAID-1 with 1 7200 rpm and 1 10000rpm disk will give you the access performance of the slowest drive. But it might depend on the controller. At best I think you would have an access time slightly higher than the average of the 2 access time. Now for the transfer speed, it also depends on your controller (if it does striped read on mirror or not). And for the size, your array size will be the size of the smallest drive.

I really suggest you use 2 identical hard disks. I heard it's even possible to have a huge performance decrease due to sync problems between 2 different HD in RAID that could eventually make the array to break frequently, but I never tried.

oh sorry it was a misunderstanding!!

i only want to compare with this aditional question two systems with single disk systems!!

It's only to receive an impression to evaluate the importance of acess times in workstation environment.

oh sorry it was a misunderstanding!!

i only want to compare with this aditional question two systems with single disk systems!!

It's only to receive an impression to evaluate the importance of acess times in workstation environment.

It mostly depends on what application you'll be running. If your application requires a lot of disk access (not sequential), the 10000rpm will make it all faster (around 9ms average access compared to around 12ms for 7200rpm). Your OS will load slightly faster, applications will load a bit faster, having your swap partition/swap file on a 10k rpm disk will also help. But I would say it might not be worth the extra cost of such disk unless you really need the performance boost.

Here are some applications (most server oriented) that will benefit a lot from reduced access time :

- Web server

- Database

- Indexing

- Some games (the ones with a lot of data to load)

- Video edition (I would suggest 1 fast/low access time work disk + 1 redundant array for final result storage)

Hope it gives you an idea.