Sign in to follow this  
Trazom

Raid 50 VS Raid 6

I have a 3ware 9650SE-8ML Controller, and I'm wondering what are the differences between RAID 50 and RAID 6 with 6 or 8 disks

I can see that both will give the same capacity. Raid 50 will allow for 1 failure per Raid 5 member when RAID6 allows any 2 disks to fail.

What about performances? will RAID 50 be faster?

I have a 3ware 9650SE-8ML Controller, and I'm wondering what are the differences between RAID 50 and RAID 6 with 6 or 8 disks

I can see that both will give the same capacity. Raid 50 will allow for 1 failure per Raid 5 member when RAID6 allows any 2 disks to fail.

I think this depends on the controller you are using, and how efficient it is at handling parity, however theoretical performance should be identical with the Raid 6 being the safer failure option obviously. If you are planning on using 2 parity disks though, I would definitely go with 8 disks over 6 for performance reasons.

Well, I had a really long post all set to show the benefits of RAID 1+0 compared to RAID 5+0 or RAID 6, but the forum ate it. I may repost it later.

For the moment, suffice it to say that I would recommend RAID 1+0 over either RAID 5+0 or RAID 6, based on overall reliability and performance factors.

I think this depends on the controller you are using, and how efficient it is at handling parity, however theoretical performance should be identical with the Raid 6 being the safer failure option obviously. If you are planning on using 2 parity disks though, I would definitely go with 8 disks over 6 for performance reasons.

I just got 8 disks to test it... Well, so far I can see that RAID6 is around 50% faster than RAID50!

I'm disappointed of the performances, I would expect to have much higher write speed than I got (around 105MB/sec on RAID6, around 72MB/sec on RAID 50). I thought 3ware 9650 controllers would be faster than that? even in RAID0 I find the write speed low (around 235MB/sec with 8 disks). Write back cache is activated, Storsav is set on performance. I tried deactivate NCQ but it doesn't change anything.