Sign in to follow this  
TheManuel

Swap or pagefile on my second drive

I have read some very good information on the FAQ and have one more question:

I have e4300 with 2GB of memory and a 7200rpm 160GB 16MB (nothing too fancy) Seagate hard drive.

I plan to add another drive of similar specs and I am considering my partitioning alternatives.

Based on reading the FAQ, I will most likely keep the OS and program files in a 15GB partition on the first drive to keep it all physically close and on the outer edge of the platter (please correct me if I'm wrong), and have one or two partitons on that drive for storage.

On the second drive I was planning to have partitions for the pagefile and temp folder, respectively plus other partitions for video editing.

My questions are:

1. Should I keep just the temp folder (which is used frequently) on the second drive and the pagefile on the first drive with the OS since I have lots of memory and the pagefile may not be used too much anyway?

2. Should I keep both on different partition of the second drive but loose the advantage of concurrent pagefile and temp folder access while gaining the advantage of concurrent OS files and pagefile/temp folder access?

I will appreciate any suggestions.

Regards,

Manuel.

Windows is supposed to be smart enough to use the least-busy pagefile on a system with more than one pagefile. If you have 2 or more pagefiles on separate disks (not just separate partitions on the same disk) Windows monitors the drive usage and is supposed to use the pagefile on the least busy disk.

So, my recommendation is to have a pagefile on each physical drive and let Windows determine usage.

I'm sure you'll get other opinions on this, as there are many people out there that swear by getting rid of the pagefile completely. Can't say I've tried that very much, and there are some applications that will complain or maybe even have problems if there is no pagefile, so your mileage may vary.

So, my recommendation is to have a pagefile on each physical drive and let Windows determine usage.

Even with the OS files on one of those disks?

How about the temp folder?

Thanks.

Even with the OS files on one of those disks?

How about the temp folder?

Thanks.

bennt is correct, just setup pagefiles on all disks, and let Windows determine usage.

If the OS is busy with disk I/O on the system disk, and wants to page something to the pagefile, it'll use the second/tertiary/etc disks.

Even though a lot of people like bash Windows, the NT line (especially the kernel) is pretty intelligently built. (Some reports from the late 90's said it was over-engineered).

Not to beat on a dead horse here but, where should I keep the Windows Temp folder?

Should I place it on a separate partition on the second drive or in the OS partition on the first drive?

Thanks.

Not to beat on a dead horse here but, where should I keep the Windows Temp folder?

Should I place it on a separate partition on the second drive or in the OS partition on the first drive?

Thanks.

Same as the OS. Not that it really matters anyway, a lot of apps don't honour the location override anyway.

OK.

Thanks everyone for the good advice.

Thanks.

Same as the OS. Not that it really matters anyway, a lot of apps don't honour the location override anyway.