Sign in to follow this  
404 - File not found

Best hard drive setup for Photoshop?

Hey

Ok, here it is: I'm looking for the best performance for photoshop and multitasking with my current system:

2x 74GB Raptor

1x 320GB WD Caviar

I was thinking of installing Windows and putting scratch disk on the first raptor and putting program files on the second raptor, while keeping a fixed size pagefile on both of them.

Any suggestions with this?

Thanks

Edited by 404 - File not found

I don't think it's possible to split a pagefile, is it?

Your goal is to have enough memory to avoid hitting the pagefile excessively anyway, so I would leave it on the 2nd raptor.

Sure, you create multiple pagefiles on each disk, and Windows will use them as it sees fit.

Sure, you create multiple pagefiles on each disk, and Windows will use them as it sees fit.

Yup. Windows is supposed to monitor disk usage and use the pagefile on the least busy disk. In multi-disk systems I always create a pagefile on each. Keep in mind though, this only applies to multiple physical disks, not multiple partitions on the same disk.

You can do that, depends how aware the programs you are about it. (aka, I've got some really stupid crap here that is seemingly hard-coded to run only on C:\Program Files :blink: ... fortunately most modern software isn't that badly written...)

If you've got enough ram, try the following...

setup a ramdisk of a couple of hundred meg and put your pagefile on there. That's right paging sucks, we don't want it, but you'll likely run into problems with none allocated, so lets fool the system into using ram for paging.

Probably worthwhile running a few tests with ram pagefile vs no pagefile vs disk pagefile just to see how your system behaves.

Raid 1 your two raptors and use this as "workspace". Software raid will do if that's only option you have, it's worth sacrificing some cpu cycles to double your disk read and write speeds.

I'd probably put all my OS and apps on the single disk, this stuff only gets loaded once and writes should be rare.

Keep an up to date copy of everything on the raid pair on the single disk, raid1 has twice the chance of failure, but that's the risk you take when you go twice as fast.

If you haven't got enough ram then that'll be easy to fix...

I believe bunnyip meant RAID 0 has twice the chance of failure in the last post.

My opinion......

1: Max the Ram on your motherboard (up to 3-4GB)

2: Do not place the page file on the scratch disk

3: Keep it simple and have as few disks as possible.

A 2 disk config would be "Little Buddy & Big Daddy". This would entail a raptor for OS, Apps, and page file. The 2nd disk is any big old disk that contains the scratch and data files.

A three disk config would be 1 raptor for OS/Apps/page, 1 Raptor for scratch and source images, and a big old disk for destination files (possibly use for a page file if you are low on ram)

Ultimately, don't bother with the disks untill you have completed step 1. If you run out of ram, it really doesn't matter what your disk subsystem is like, your overall experience will suck. Fancy disk setups may mitigate the "suck", but it is best to try and avoid it in the 1st place.

You're bound to see a couple counter arguments to the RAM thing in this thread. Stuff like "the single largest windows process being limited to 2G ", "you can only use 3.5G on a 4G system", and stuff. While technically valid, they don't apply to your situation. In Photoshop, many "filters" spawn a new process. Any left over RAM serves as disk cache for the OS. The RAM is indirectly improving your performance.

Other recommendations....

1: Turn off real time virus scanning on the scratch disk!!!!

2: Turn off real time virus scanning on the scratch disk!!!!

3: Turn off real time virus scanning on the scratch disk!!!!

Have a good one,

Frank Russo

"Raid 1 your two raptors and use this as "workspace". Software raid will do if that's only option you have, it's worth sacrificing some cpu cycles to double your disk read and write speeds."

What???

Let the Flames begin.

I hope Raid 1 was a typo.

I set up a video workstation for a friend with 2 Raptors, Raid 0 as boot and programs because he INSISTED.

After reloading everything 3 times in 6 months he gave up the idea.

Both Raptors tested fine and are still working perfectly today in a JBOD setup.

Be careful whose advise you follow. Long time posters over newbees anyday B)

Good advise BBH - Much better post than mine

3 gigs ram

I have Raptor for boot

Second Raptor for active files.

Third for scratch and storage

Big Daddy's for finished work and backups.

This topic has been covered at least 4 times here in addition to the adobe website.

Thanks Big Buck Hunter, that's exactly what I was looking for. Sorry if this was mentionned before, I did not see any threads about this.

I have 2GB of ram, I'll buy another 2x1GB. Photoshop takes off everything (like 1.7GB right now), I was afraid of xp using maximum 3GB, but I see thats not really true, I was actually thinking of jumping to vista just for that reason. :)

Scratch disk will probably still be used a bit, so I'll try like you said; having the scratch separate from the page file. I'll forget the Windows / program files on diff. drives idea. My lag definately comes from the missing ram, not from my hard drives.

The only background applications I have is Second Copy 7, which priority is low. To anyone who wants to jump into RAID-1ish, try this program first, it lets you synchronize folders (will copy modified files only) every hour, it can also keep a few history of backups, but for every file. Great tool to backup work files and it doesn't give any performance hit.

Photoshop as a program is rather quirky as compared to other programs.

Over the years I have read that pohtoshop heavily uses the available ram, cpu processor, and pagefile.

For a best performance/price photoshop box I would: Spend the majority of your money on a fast processor (I would assume multiple threads would help with such a mature program ie. multiple cores/processors so a dual core or quad core processor), then as much ram as your mobo can safely support. These days a lot of mobos have trouble with 2gb sticks so thats lots of 1gb sticks, and for storage I would have 2 disks (idealy 2, one for OS and applications can be a raptor or other fast drive and the second disk for storage such as a hitachi 7K1000 with the pagefile split between them.]

Best way to build a system would be to talk to other photoshop users. I am sure adobe has some sort of forum.