Sign in to follow this  
Phire

Where are the Sandisk SSD drives?

I cant find them for sale anywhere. Are there any other similar solid state drives out that I can buy? Does anyone know if there are any disadvantages to using these drives?

They are mostly sold as OEM in laptops etc.

The prices are said to reduse drastically during this year, so I would wait 5-6 months, before I buy any of these.

How do these compare to the U320 SCSI drives? It says in the description for the SSD drive that the write speed is 28MB/s. Isn't the write speed for U320 drives in the 70/MB/s and up?

Guest 888
How do these compare to the U320 SCSI drives? It says in the description for the SSD drive that the write speed is 28MB/s. Isn't the write speed for U320 drives in the 70/MB/s and up?

Yes.

But do not forget to compare access times...

As a result, SSD drive handles more I/O's per second than any known SCSI/SAS drive.

Yes.

As a result, SSD drive handles more I/O's per second than any known SCSI/SAS drive.

I suppose these drives would not work to well for things such as high data rate video capture, right? I would assume a higher sustained write speed would work better than quicker I/O?

I suppose these drives would not work to well for things such as high data rate video capture, right? I would assume a higher sustained write speed would work better than quicker I/O?

Lest you RAID 0 them :P

Yes.

I guess it depends on what you mean by high data rate video capture. For something like HDV or DVCPRO you might be able to stripe 2-4 of these together and do well, however you are going to get chocked big time on the amount of video you can store.

For HD-SDI capture, especially dual link, odds are unless you have an amazing controller, these are not going to do well until you have 10 in a RAID 0, since you need upwards of 200MB/s sustained to guarantee no droped frames. Also 10x32 Gig drives will store maybe 30 minutes of video.

These only really shine on random access's and whatnot, for STR they are slower than normal SATA drives and have 1/10-1/30th the capacity