Sign in to follow this  
TheJack

''unreadable''

I have an interesting problem with my PlexWriter PX-W8432T.

Do you know ''Nero CD Speed'' (it comes with Nero Burning Rom)? There is a function in this program, that is called ''ScanDisc'' (Extra menu). It is used for CD error checking. It does that with ''File Test'' and ''Surface Scan'' (you probably know that already).

And here's the problem. Today I was checking some of my CDs, and I noticed, that (with ''Surface Scan'') every CD that I've made with my Plextor (I bought it a few years ago), has an unredable (red) square at the end (probably lead-out, but I'm not sure). Except for the copied discs (that were made, for example with CloneCD or CD Copy (Nero)).

Nevertheless, all CDs play normally. ‘’File Test’’ shows nothing, everything works normally. Programs, music, movies…etc….work fine. Even when there is only one file on the cd (for example divx), nothing’s wrong with it.

So I checked some CDs, that weren’t recorded with my Plextor. Here, everything was all right, there was no ‘’ureadable suface’’.

Can somebody please tell me, what is going on with my Plextor? Did you even heard of something like this before? Because I sure didn’t.

Can somebody please tell me, what is going on with my Plextor? Did you even heard of something like this before? Because I sure didn’t.

Are you making sure to record all your discs using Disc-At-Once (DAO) rather than Track-At-Once (TAO)? If not, that's why you're seeing this. TAO does not corrupt any data but it adds a few unused but unreadable sectors at the end of the disc (or, more technically, at the end of each data track, but one data track per disc is pretty typical). Some programs that insist on reading each and every sector of the disc might choke on those last few sectors, but there's no data actually stored there.

In short, this is nothing to worry about.

Thank you very much, BarryKNathan!

You are absolutely right. I was recording in TAO mode. The reason is simple. It was set as default in Nero Burning Rom (and, I guess, in WinOnCD, I was using before, also). And most importantly, I was told, there is no difference between TAO and DAO, when you're recording data CDs (only with audio CDs). I guess you learn something new every day...

Thank you again!