pprior

FS: Fileserver with ARECA 1120 and Supermicro Hotswap cage

Fileserver has been used for home media storage and general photo / document backup. Has worked without problems but am selling because I have swtiched to an all Mac setup now.

Price - $800 + shipping takes it all including SCSI drives, or will take offers for consideration but will ebay if too low.

Components include

Areca 1120 RAID-6 card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16816131002

Supermicro Hotswap SATA 5 drive cage

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817121405

CM Stacker Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16811119039

Seasonic S12-600 power supply (the best out there)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817151025

The motherboard is a supermicro server board running 2 Xeon processors, I think 1.7ghz if I recall. 1 GB Ram . It's not a speed machine, it's a file server. Supermicro board has built in SCSI and I have several SCSI drives including 15K Seagates and some other 10K drives that I would throw in for free if someone bought the whole server. All drives would be reformatted - no OS would be included though it has been running windows XP. It has an ATI video card, not sure which one, rarely had the monitor turned on.

The areca card is top notch - it has 8 slots and I ran 5 drives with raid-6 but it will do most other raid configurations as you desire.

I may consider selling the drive cage and Areca card separately if nobody is willing to buy the whole server, but I may ebay it before I split it up. This site has the most folks who might appreciate this gear, so I thought I'd list it here first. I'm a long time member and have a 50+ feedback on Ebay with no negatives so contact me via reply if interested.

Please note I am -NOT- including SATA drives in the supermicro cage - I used all of mine in my new Mac setup. I WILL include the various scsi drives I have (15K x 2 36gig I think and 2 10K drives (size?) if the whole thing is purchased.

here are some pictures of the actual machine:

139135581-M.jpg

139135575-M.jpg

139135590-M.jpg

139135606-M.jpg

Any offers yet?

Which supermicro MB is in it?

I need a faster small server but the wife would shoot me if I spent $800 on computer equipment right now.

She really wouldn't shoot me but it would get chilly for a few days. She did get me a $200 "mad wife" discount on a dell 400SC about 3.5 years ago. LOL

Any offers yet?

Which supermicro MB is in it?

I need a faster small server but the wife would shoot me if I spent $800 on computer equipment right now.

She really wouldn't shoot me but it would get chilly for a few days. She did get me a $200 "mad wife" discount on a dell 400SC about 3.5 years ago. LOL

No offers yet. It's a P4DC6 MB. Can't remember if it's the P4DC6 or P4DC6+. I've got the original box somewhere in my computer room downstairs.

BTW, this is definitely not a SMALL server :)

Cheers.

Addendum: Also - I didn't note in my original post, but if a Church or Christian based non-profit organization would be interested, I would consider donation or significantly reduced cost.

Sorry about the SMALL part . I would only have about 900 gigs of files in it at this point but it would be easy to add capacity as needed. It would be for photos and scans only now and I would add video space next year. The other option is a new MB with more memory capacity and faster processors to be used for Photoshop/Lightroom/Premier and file server. My Asus board is acting funky and I am thinking of upgrading soon anyway.

The 15k SCSI drives might work for the OS and I could put the Raptors in the cage. A Raptor may be faster for the OS but I have to balance Pshop/server usage.

Where is the server located and is it UPSable?

Thanks

Photoz

Sorry about the SMALL part . I would only have about 900 gigs of files in it at this point but it would be easy to add capacity as needed. It would be for photos and scans only now and I would add video space next year. The other option is a new MB with more memory capacity and faster processors to be used for Photoshop/Lightroom/Premier and file server. My Asus board is acting funky and I am thinking of upgrading soon anyway.

The 15k SCSI drives might work for the OS and I could put the Raptors in the cage. A Raptor may be faster for the OS but I have to balance Pshop/server usage.

Where is the server located and is it UPSable?

Thanks

Photoz

I meant small physically - the case is very large - I don't like cramped quarters and for file server it didn't have to sit on a desktop :)

It's in central ohio and could be UPSed, I'd have to box it up.

I know this thread's old, but is this still available?

Yes. It's sitting in my data room. Haven't had time to worry about it. Cheers.

I know this thread's old, but is this still available?

Yes. It's sitting in my data room. Haven't had time to worry about it. Cheers.

Update: I'm tired of this sitting around. Should probably ebay it, but I'm too lazy. It's just collecting dust and the array and RAID card are VERY NICE stuff! Someone take this off my hands and put it to good use.

Just think - plop in 1TB drives and you can have have a monster of a Raid5 or Raid 6 array!

Make me an offer - whole or parts.

UPDATE -

Case and main system SOLD. Hot swap file cage SOLD

Still Available:

Areca 1120 RAID Card (person who bought server already had one - it's a great card!) - Please note this is an SATA raid card - check link above for details.

Supermicro 4:3 drive bay

SCSI drives: 18GB 15K Cheetah, 36GB 15K Cheetah, 36GB 10KII and 36GB 10KIII drives

LVD scsi cables with terminators (2 available)

If you want a high capacity file storage system, the 1120 card is a GREAT way to do it - Raid 5 or even better Raid 6!

The Areca card is selling for a bit over $500 now, I'll take $350 for mine

Other stuff - make me an offer

Thanks for all the inquiries