Sign in to follow this  
vlad

Power Supply / Video Card

Hi,

I'm getting a 1080p HDTV, so I'm gonna buy an Nvidia 8800 GTS 320MB from EVGA to replace my old 6600.

My current setup is: Core 2 Duo 6600/Intel D975XBX2 Mobo/gigabyte 6600 nvidia card/1 160G Samsung HDD/460 W Zalman power supply. My question is: is the power supply gonna be enough for an 8800?

On the EVGA website they only say: minimum 400W, 28A on the 12V line. The current power supply can pump out that many watts on the 12V lines, when taken together ... I'm not sure if that's enough though. A Zalman 600W power supply can pump more total amps on the 12V lines, but not much more on a single one (18A vs 16A). According to my ups, the current config consumes at full load @200W ... So I feel like I should have the spare capacity.

Any thoughts? I guess I don't mind also buying a 600W Zalman power supply, but I wouldn't want to waste the money if the current setup sufficies.

I'd personally go for a 550W+ PSU with triple +12V lines, might as well go for a high efficiency one at the same time

any decent 500W PSU will have 3 +12 rails at 17A+ which gives >400W - more than enough for your CPU and VGA

As for the 8800GTS for HD playback.... I dont think it will improve 1080p performance... purevideo is a load of ....

one strange thing though, i use a 6800GS for playing games but switch to my wifes pc (ati 9550GE) when playing divx/1080i on my LCDTV because it looks much nicer :)

As for the 8800GTS for HD playback.... I dont think it will improve 1080p performance... purevideo is a load of ....

one strange thing though, i use a 6800GS for playing games but switch to my wifes pc (ati 9550GE) when playing divx/1080i on my LCDTV because it looks much nicer :)

Thanks a lot! The reason for a beefed-up card is that I want to play 3D PC games on 1920 x 1080. I figured that an 8800 is probably necessary. Are you saying that a 7900 could perhaps be good enough for the task?

You don't need to buy new PSU.

According to my ups, the current config consumes at full load @200W
So peak load of PSU is about 155W

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article292-page4.html

I'd personally go for a 550W+ PSU with triple +12V lines, might as well go for a high efficiency one at the same time

any decent 500W PSU will have 3 +12 rails at 17A+

Any decent PSU doesn't have virtual rails, those are able to create much more new problems than they can solve.

At those resolutions you need an 8800. Try and get a GTX if you can. The 8800GTS will be underpowered if you want all the eye candy turned on.

Well, yeah, but it's considerably more expensive (550 + vs ~300). So I'll probably just get a GTS. Any recommendation for a manufacturer? I'm thinking evga.