photoz

Cloning unknown file system

We have a Xerox 8830 engineering copier with a 40 gig ( wd400bb ) ide drive in the controller.

The drive is about 5-6 years old and not having any problems yet.

Knowing the extreme markup for parts in this item I would like to make a clone of the drive.

I have no isdea of the file system or OS.

Is there any software that will duplicate the drive.

The company was billed $130 for a $4 flourescent lamp.

TIA

Photoz

We have a Xerox 8830 engineering copier with a 40 gig ( wd400bb ) ide drive in the controller.

The drive is about 5-6 years old and not having any problems yet.

Knowing the extreme markup for parts in this item I would like to make a clone of the drive.

I have no isdea of the file system or OS.

Is there any software that will duplicate the drive.

The company was billed $130 for a $4 flourescent lamp.

TIA

Photoz

Acronis True Image does not care about OS and type of format.

Hi

I would tend to stay away from mounting it in an Windows system for imaging as Windows tends to want put signatures on the drives and that may affect it's operability. If this happens how would you recover in this case?

I think that Franks's Linux and dd approach is one of the best to use

Tom D

I would tend to stay away from mounting it in an Windows system for imaging as Windows tends to want put signatures on the drives and that may affect it's operability. If this happens how would you recover in this case?

I do agree, I lost a bunch of data off of a Roland VS-1680 exactly this way. There was a patch available (just a reg entry) that would change this behavior in windows 98. I've never tried it with NT derivatives though.

Frank

I do agree, I lost a bunch of data off of a Roland VS-1680 exactly this way. There was a patch available (just a reg entry) that would change this behavior in windows 98. I've never tried it with NT derivatives though.

Frank

Frank, I never saw that patch, do you still have it? It would be interesting to understand.

On a side note I am not sure how a PE copy of Windows (Barts PE) works in this area but my guess is that it still likes to add signatures or metadata. Does anyone know?

My other thought is that Windows can never be used for forensic tasks, even on other Windows drives, for exactly this reason.

Tom D

Well it seems my wires were crossed when I started this thread.

The 8830 we have has a Seagate 4 gig scsi 50 pin drive in it. The WD is in a newer controller on another machine.

How do I know this? It went belly up yesterday. The Xerox tech claims Xerox loads special files and firmware on it and it must be replaced by a Xerox supplied drive.

We tried to update the firmware today, evidently the old version resides on a Eprom but the newer versions are written to the drive.

Can you guess how much it will cost to replace with another used drive?

Estimates are due sometime Thursday, If they can find one.

Ok no guess.

How about $965, that's US dollars not Jamaican. :angry: That is a "new" drive with a 30 day warranty.

I wonder how long it has been gathering dust in a stockroom.

I can flash the firmware over the ethernet but will it set up the file system and create the directioies I need.

I do not have a good drive to clone from, nor do I have any 50 pin scsi cables.

I don't have any way other than webPMT to set up the controller and I do not see any way to create or view drive settings. The controller has an IBM P3 740 RISC processor.

It may be simple to insert a drive, format it and set up everything but without more complete knowledge of the system and it's software it could take more time than I have.

The company servicing the unit claims that Xerox formats and loads proprietary software on the drive and that it's impossible to use a generic drive. I do not really believe them but I am not in a position to prove them wrong.

Believe me if I was confident it could be done I would save the $1,700 for the 2 service calls and the inflated drive cost.

Since the new drive only has a 30 day warranty it would be worth some expense to clone it to a similar drive just to see if it works.

I wonder if a 68 pin or 80 pin to 50 pin adapter would allow me to use an newer, faster drive (more reliable?) instead of looking for old 50 pin drives.

A 4 gig flash card would be fast enough if there was a way to hook it up.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Xerox 8830 AccXESâ„¢ Controller info

CPU: Power PC 740

Memory: 192 Mb

Hard Disk: 4.5 Gb Ultra SCSI, 7200 rpm, internal drive

Data Formats: HP-GL; HP-GL/2; HP-RTL; CGM (Level 1 with ATA ext.); C4; FileNET; Versatec Data Standards (VRF, ordered vector, blocked raster, compacted raster); CalComp 906/907/951/PCI; TIFF 6.0; NIRS; CALS 1 & 2; compression types (for applicable raster formats): CCITT G4, G3-1D, G3-2D, Packbits, RLE, Seed Row, Adaptive; Optional Adobe PostScript 3

Interfaces: Standard - Serial RS-232; IEEE 1284 Bidirectional Centronics; SCSI-2; VPI;

10/100 Ethernet (TCP/IP) supports 10/100 BaseT Optional - 10 mbs Network Interface Card supports 10 BaseT and 10 Base2

Network Protocols: Standard - TCP/IP with lpr/lpd Optional- Novell IPX/SPX

Pserver 3.1/4.1 with NDS; Ethertalk; NetBEUI

Client Software: ADI drivers for AutoCAD R12/13/14 Print Drivers for Win 95/98/NT Web Print Manager Tool for Win 95/98/NT/Solaris Document Submission Tool for

Win 95/98/NT Optional - Adobe PostScript 3 Drivers for Windows 95/98/NT

Any one familiar with this setup/??

TIA

Yeah, it's the one that looks like a beige Craftsman toolchest? Grab a similar 4GB SCSI drive (from ebay or overstock) for $5. Install the drive, grab the firmware and try to upload it to the access controller.

Can you take a photo of the drive that is currently installed? We can probably ID it and provide you a replacement url.

Frank

I have a couple of people checking old Apple computers. It seems these were an option for a few years. The local school district had dozens that had accumulated over the years but they were scrapped last year. The high school is getting a 72 million expansion so they had a big cleanout.

Everything works on the controller except flashing the firmware, firmware version 5.99 and below is on the eprom. Version 6.0 and above resides on the drive.

Ebay looks like the best chance for a quick drive.

Thanks

Photoz