HMTK

Cloning Windows Vista

I haven't tried cloning it but what software would be best. Until now we used Ghost 2003 (with XP) and it worked really well except with very recent machines where good old Ghost doesn't see any disks (SATA). I was thinking Acronis TrueImage considering the good experience many people here seem to have with it.

I haven't tried cloning it but what software would be best. Until now we used Ghost 2003 (with XP) and it worked really well except with very recent machines where good old Ghost doesn't see any disks (SATA). I was thinking Acronis TrueImage considering the good experience many people here seem to have with it.
There's a flag you can give ghost2003 to let it use SATA drives.. i think it's -noide, been awhile since i had to look it up.

I recently purchased Ghost server for work. I looked at Acronis as I had heard good things about it and figured it would be cheaper. It turned out to be more expensive though. Given that I've had pretty good experience with Ghost over the years and was already familiar with it I had to stick with it.

So far it has been working quite well and I haven't had any problems with it (including SATA). I just got an email the other day saying there was a new version (will be free for us).

Ghost 8 will clone Vista ,with only a minor hitch.When you load the image file of Vista back to a drive on boot up Vista will ask for the install cd to repair the boot menu.Only takes about 10 seconds to repair and then Vista works fine after the image restore.Guess it has something to do with the new boot stuff in Vista.Since we have Ghost 8 and like it(read already paid for)we've tested it on all our Vista installs and with the exception of the one bug the image is otherwise flawless. B)

I currently use Acronis True Image Home 10 and have successfully backed up/restored and cloned Vista Ultimate 32bit and 64bit without any hitches.