Sign in to follow this  
philee

Please review "notebook" drives!

I don't know this for sure but, I think the problem with reviewing Notebook drives is that SR can't get them. And it would be far too expensive to purchase them for testing. SR has only ever reviewed one Hitachi drive, no toshiba drives, and IBM may be unwilling to send samples.

-Tim

I have a funky feeling that all the notebook drives share same technology or manufactured by one source.

I looked up different brands' performances and they all performed very closely. Maybe that's why SR is quiet about their plan to review notebook drives...

The German computer magazine C'T prints a big HDD roundup, the current issue has a roundup of 342 HDD's including 45 2.5" laptop HDDs. It seems to be a list of all their tested harddrives, going back to 1995.

They don't go into a detailed review of each drive like here at storagereview but they list the most important specs/test numbers of each drive, including:

modelnumber, capacity, RPM, cache, height/formfactor, random access, several numbers on sustained transfer read/write, interface and noiselevels (idle/seek).

They also have a list with a comparison on acoustic management enabled/disbabled concerning average access times and noise changes on current IDE drives.

Sadly they don't have most of their content online, it's a bi-weekly magazine with an average of 200+ pages before the advertisment block. I haven't found anything comparable to their otherwise very indepth stories while I was stationed in the USA for 6 years.

The fastest drives according to their list:

- Fujitsu

MHN2200AT, 20GB

MHN2300AT, 30GB

- IBM

IC25N030ATDA04-0 Travelstar 30GN, 30GB

IC25T048ATDA05-0 Travelstar 48GH, 48GB (the only recent 2.5" with 5400 rpm they tested)

- Toshiba

MK2017GAP, 20GB

MK3017GAP, 30GB

Great !

By the way do you happen to have their noise specs?

I just hope that these drives are quieter than my IBM 20GN (20Gig) HD which seems to be getting louder everyday. Like others have mention, I only hope that my drive won't get completely silent.

Also how do these drives compare to other low cost IDE drives in terms of speed? Are they nowhere near the speed of the slowest IDE drives in production now?

Your drive is already a fast one, the others I mentioned are only slightly faster for STR but they have lower random access times (up to 3 ms).

Noise according to their list:

- your IBM 20GN idle=29.2 dBA , seeking=38.5 dBA

- MHN2200AT idle=25.6 dBA , seeking=30.8 dBA

- MHN2300AT idle=25.5 dBA , seeking=32.1 dBA

- IBM 30 GN idle=23.6 dBA , seeking=33.6 dBA (4200)

- IBM 48GH idle=27.2 dBA , seeking=35.4 dBA (5400)

- MK2017GAP idle=29.3 dBA , seeking=35.9 dBA

- MK3017GAP idle=33.3 dBA , seeking=37.3 dBA

There's another factor that you have to know, the max height in inch that you can use in your laptop, they range from 0.37" to 0.5" to 0.67".

Define "slowest IDE drives in production now" and I'll let you know :lol:

Danke!

Neverthless, Fujitsu seems pretty competitive in terms of the speed and the noise level. I honestly don't mind the seeking noise but the sustained idle noise is what's been torturing me for a year.

I wonder if idle noise of a 30GN would increase its noise as it gets older though.

Danke!

Neverthless, Fujitsu seems pretty competitive in terms of the speed and the noise level. I honestly don't mind the seeking noise but the sustained idle noise is what's been torturing me for a year.

I wonder if idle noise of a 30GN would increase its noise as it gets older though.

Ball bearing motors usually increase in noise the older they get. It's an unfortunate trait they have, as the bearings simply wear out. How much they increase is dependent on design and usage.

Then would IBM Travelstars be the right choice?

I don't think Fujitsu is equipped with fluid bearing technology.

By the way, I would really love to hear from someone who has owned 30GN or 48GH. These drives are based on Fluid bearing technology and they've been out for about a year now. I wonder if they wear out like the ball bearing one.

I'll give you one... goto Dell, click on support, goto insprion harddrives... read all the sh*t about the IBM travel star drives... clicks clicks clicks clicks... lockup... I've got one.. .. its loud as hell.. It's embarassing to carry into the library to do school work... I can hear its high winding pitch... louder than my 75GXP (2 of which are fsck'd up).. and this of course is normal... as described by Dell... psssh I've had it /w IBM they cost me huge $$, and all I get back is sh*t sometimes the cheapest things are still better.

IBM's 20gn seems to be having a lot of problems. I've had a few become very loud as well. However, the 30gb and 48gh seem much better.