duanecox

Need seagate firmware for cheetah 15K.4 ST336754LC

I'm sure you've all heard this same song and dance before. Seagate won't give me the firmware because this drive is an OEM (DELL) drive with DELL firmware.

Here is my problem...

I purchased many of these drives from a liquidator, and they came "factory recertified" / "refurbised" with seagate firmware.

I have several arrays built using these drives, and each drive has a capacity of 34.1 GB.

I had several drives go bad, not being able to get anymore from my liquidator, I ordered like units from ebay. Like meaning same ST # (I thought I was getting the same thing)

It turns out the the drives from ebay are loaded with dell firmware and format to a capacity of 33.9 GB.

Obviously for you array folks out there, I can not rebuild my array using a lesser capacity drive.

So I am looking for seagate firmware for these drives, that will hopefully allow the capacity of 34.1 GB.

The seagate firmware displays this drive as a 34.1 GB drive.

The dell firmware displays this drive as a 33.9 GB drive.

Please help.

Thanks

Duane Cox

dcox@conxxus.com

Firmware sent.

Thanks. I'm not sure yet of two things.

1. If I can actually flash these drives with this firmware, and

2. If this firmware will indeed show up with a 34.1 GB capacity, instead of 33.9 GB.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Thanks!

UPDATE:

I wanted to follow up on this thread with my status and success.

I was able to successfully upload the "0005" seagate firmware on the "dell" branded / "dell" firmware SCSI ST336754LC drives.

The reason why this was so critically important is because the Dell firmware doesn't take full advantage of the capacity of the drive, it cuts it short by about 300 megs.

This in itself is not a problem, but when you have an array and your replacement drive is "smaller" than the removed drive, then the array can NOT be rebuilt.

I was able to load the "0005" firmware on the DELL drives using an adaptec 2940/UW controler, a 80pin to 68pin converter, the seagate seatools enterprise, and the "0005 OEM 15K4 SCSI.lod" firmware.

All was a great success and my capacity changed from 35566MB to 35843MB which allowed for the array to be rebuilt!

Thanks for the response.

Why would Dell short the drives by 300MB. Surely they can't be thinking to remap 300MB in bad sectors. Is it possible that it takes care of some performance issue at the 34GB mark?

Thanks for the response.

Why would Dell short the drives by 300MB. Surely they can't be thinking to remap 300MB in bad sectors. Is it possible that it takes care of some performance issue at the 34GB mark?

I don't work for DELL, so I don't know why they would do that.

But here is what I think.... They probably do this so that they can have a "universal" GIG size as a standard replacement across multiple drive manufactures. Make sense?

As an example. If they were to take bids for 100,000 drives from IBM, Seagate, Maxtor, etc. they could then say we want all 36GIG drives to be seen as XX,XXX MB in size, that way they could issue "replacements" as other vendors, but rest assured that the replacement was the same size as what you had.

Ah, that makes perfect sense, thanks. To Dell, one manufacturer's 15k drive is usually the same as another's, so it would make sense to ensure they are all the same size for a RAID drive replacement.

Could you please send me a copy of the "0005" seagate firmware to support@mygatorbiz.com?

Thank you!

UPDATE:

I wanted to follow up on this thread with my status and success.

I was able to successfully upload the "0005" seagate firmware on the "dell" branded / "dell" firmware SCSI ST336754LC drives.

The reason why this was so critically important is because the Dell firmware doesn't take full advantage of the capacity of the drive, it cuts it short by about 300 megs.

This in itself is not a problem, but when you have an array and your replacement drive is "smaller" than the removed drive, then the array can NOT be rebuilt.

I was able to load the "0005" firmware on the DELL drives using an adaptec 2940/UW controler, a 80pin to 68pin converter, the seagate seatools enterprise, and the "0005 OEM 15K4 SCSI.lod" firmware.

All was a great success and my capacity changed from 35566MB to 35843MB which allowed for the array to be rebuilt!

Guys, anyone has the Seagate 005 generic firmware for ST373454FC, can you anyone please email me thanks in advance. mbhanu.kumar@gmail.com