Big Buck Hunter

Refactoring the PC

If you were going to totally refactor the PC from the ground up, what are some of the things that you would eliminate? I'm beginning work on something (pipe-dream business plan), and figure that I can eliminate 90% of all PC annoyances. The following words, in my opinion, should disappear from consumer's vocabulary.

1: Boot

2: Version

3: Configuration

4: Upgrade

5: Third party

6: Beta

7: Driver

8: Codec

9: Tweak

Any other words that you would like to see magically disappear from the world of personal computers?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Nothing. Seriously. People have respect if you know the meaning of all those things, you appear a magician of sorts. Just like when you use the command line. Most people stare nowadays for a simple thing like getting your IP configuration on the command line.

Most people stare nowadays for a simple thing like getting your IP configuration on the command line.

It has always confused me. Old timers can't seem to figure out how to change their home page. Kids can't figure out how to "strike" a match, let alone pop-start a zippo. I think it's a cultural thing. Thank god I'm a gen X-er.

Frank

Desktop,taskbar, and start menu.

I meant independant of the OS. You should probably go buy a Mac if those are your primary concerns.

Frank

And I meant them from the respect that a large group of users don't have a clue what they are.No I don't need a Mac.Mepis serves me well.Also I'm and Oldtimer,we invented all this stuff you play with gen X-er.

This is what I'd eliminate:

"I downloaded my pictures to the cpu but it doesn't know where they are"

"Does this computer come with: Google/Internet/Hotmail/etc?"

"My processor? Umm, I think it's Microsoft Word"

"If I put into the machine wrong numbers, will the right number come out in the end?" (a common QuickTax question I get)

Frank, if you can eliminate the above conversations my sanity will owe you forever!

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

I can kill these pretty easily.

"If I put into the machine wrong numbers, will the right number come out in the end?"

I'll have problems with this one. The only way I can see on how to mitigate this is to have OCR scanner templates for W2's. If you really had to think about this one, how would you fix it? Remember that the person asking the question is handing you money.

Frank

It's not that I can't/won't answer the questions, it's just so painful doing so :) The QuickTax querries are almost all post sales phone calls!

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

1. usb/firewire/headphone cable spaghetti

2. Caps Lock at left center

3. too-easy-to-push power switches

4. "Insert Windows CD"

5. unfiltered case = dust and grime

6. nethood browser delays

7. Activation

8. "Why doesn't it shut down?"

9. WGA

10. mup.sys

Nothing. Seriously.
Exactly, at least nothing of those.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

-Albert Einstein

But some things to get rid off:

- Easy to use GUI: nothing wrong in GUI, but making it "easy to use" makes it hard to do anything with it

- DRM

- Computer usable by anyone: vegetables shouldn't be allowed to operate electrical devices

- Name "helpdesk": there's one character error in it, check previous item.

- There's whole world of bugs... err features in Microsoft's products which should have been buried with their inventor.

- Error in name Microsoft, nothing they make is "micro" when it comes to size and resource consumption.

This is what I'd eliminate:

"If I put into the machine wrong numbers, will the right number come out in the end?" (a common QuickTax question I get)

Frank, if you can eliminate the above conversations my sanity will owe you forever!

My mom says "hard drive" when she means the whole computer. I finally showed her an actual hard drive.

Any other words that you would like to see magically disappear from the world of personal computers?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

1. Case
  2. Front Panel
  3. Legacy connections
  4. video cable
  5. Program (should be Activity)
  6. File (should be Object)
  7. Media Player (should be Music and Pictures)
  8. you see the pattern by now....