Sign in to follow this  
Huge2007NYC

SCSI hard drives spin up delay after Windows Vista upgrade

After upgrading from Windows XP x64 to Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit, the 5 SCSI hard drives in my system spin down completely and then spin up one by one after a Windows reboot. During booting, the SCSI controller (Adaptec 29320A) scans each SCSI ID, waits until the drive is fully spinning (you can hear the drive spinning up and the head accessing the disc), then scans the next ID, waits and so on, as in series, not parallel. This takes much longer than on the old OS, when all drives spun up simultaneously and the IDs were scanned at once.

I suspect Vista has given the controller some instructions but I am not sure what could have changed. I already disabled drive spin down in the Vista power settings but that has not helped.

System:

Asus P5WDG2-WS

Pentium D 940

Adaptec 29320A

Drives: 2x Fujitsu (10k and 15k), 3x Maxtor (2x10k and 7.2k)

Any suggestions?

It may not be called Staggered Spin-Up, but rather just spin-up delay or drive power-up delay or something else. This is common on SCSI controllers to help reduce +12v and +5v load on startup.

I keep seeing recommendation on MS to do clean install rather than upgrade; and if you have 32-bit and want to go 64, that is totally different and can't be "upgraded." I suspect that going from 64 to 32 is also problematic. Sometimes the issue is minor or doesn't seem related, and the system may work fine but just not support some feature.

Moving from one OS to another, I would want to have each available just in case and run parallel if need be until 64-bit drivers or something are out.

Was it with an update version? In order to get 64-bit version for anything other than Ultimate either $17 to 'order' the 64-bit DVD, or I'd pick up OEM from Newegg.

Uninstalled the Vista upgrade and installed a fresh copy of Vista X64 Ultimate, but the problem is still the same. Here is what happens:

After a cold boot, the drives are all accessed at the moment of power up, you can hear the heads and the drives whining etc. After the Asus BIOS screen disappears, the 29320 BIOS appears and starts scanning the SCSI IDs. In this case, since the drives are already spinning, there is virtually no delay during start up.

When using the reset button at any stage (during startup, within Vista, etc) the boot sequence is the same as above; there is no delay since drives are already spinning from the moment of powering up.

However, when using the restart option in the Vista shutdown menu, the drives are shut down as if the PC is powered down. Somehow, the drives do not spin up when the Asus BIOS appears but start spinning at the time that the controller BIOS is scanning SCSI IDs, one by one.

I think Vista gives a command to completely shut down the computer when doing a software reboot which puts the drives to a complete stop. Then the drives do not get a spinup command during the reboot procedure, as they do after a cold boot. The spinup only starts when the controller is scanning the IDs. Somehow, in XP this was never a problem.

I also played around with the Asus BIOS but there were no advanced options for booting with a SCSI controller.

Any suggestions?

Indeed. I haven't changed the Asus BIOS though. Is it possible that Vista has overridden or changed Asus BIOS controls, so I can reverse the problem within the BIOS, or is this just a software bug?

I had similar things happen to me, using a Promise Ultra66 and later Ultra100TX2 PATA controller. Various revisions of the drivers under W2K/XP would: a) not spindown at restart or shutdown, B) always spindown at restart or shutdown, or finally, c) spindown at shutdown, but not restart.

So IMHO, I would chalk it up to driver issues and the SCSI stack in Vista. Perhaps a newer driver will fix things?