Sign in to follow this  
XsaGti

RocketRaid 2300 vs 2310 [PCIe x1 vs x4]

I want buy RocketRaid 2300 or 2310, and I will make a Raid5 in this controler with 4 sata hard disk.

Which controler have the best result??

HighPoint RocketRAID 2300

PCI-e x1 (x4, x8 and x16 slot compatible)

4 Channel PCI-e x1 to SATA II RAID Controller

Support up to 4 SATA II and SATA I Hard Drives

RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD

Supports Windows, Winx64, Windows Vista, Linux and FreeBSD

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/US7rr2300.htm

or:

HighPoint RocketRAID 2310

PCI-e x4 (x8 and x16 slot compatible)

4 Channel PCI-e x4 to SATA II RAID Controller

Support up to 4 SATA II and SATA I Hard Drives

RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 and JBOD

Supports Windows, Winx64, Windows Vista, Linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/US7rr2310.htm

Thanks for yours time.

PD: Sorry, I'm Spanish, and I can't write a good english

I believe that the 2300 and 2310 are identical with the exception that the 2300 is 1X and the 2310 is 4X. This means that the 2300 is limited to a max transfer rate of 250MB/sec. If each HDD is 80MB/sec, it does not matter which controller you use.

no hay de que, no importa

Frank Russo

If you want internal drives (inside your case) then go for RR2300, if you want extern sata (E-sata) (I think E-sata requires special connectors) then go for RR2310. Otherviews both card are the same.

You're thinking of the 2322, not the 2310.

The only real considerations here are whether the costs are the same or close to it, and whether you believe you will need more bandwidth than tha PCIe x1 card will be able to provide. I will assume that you have a motherboard that can support both cards.

I think it would be worthwhile to get the x4 card just on the chance that you might need more bandwidth, considering that the cost difference seems to be on the order of $20 - $40 USD.

Yesterday, highpoint answer to me. They say to me , that rr2300, and rr2310, are the same. The only difference is the bus. One by PCIe x1, and the ohter in PCIe x4.

The brandwith of PCIe x1 is 250. If I put 4 hard disk in RAID 5, I will have a 62,5Mb/s in each Hard Disk.

And with PCIe x4 (it's go to 1000). I will have a 250Mb/s branwith in each Hard Disk.

I think that if I will buy a PCIe x4 , I would have more efficience, than the PCIe x1. The difference is little. But :

WD Raptor 150 ADFD Average Read: 78.3 MB/s

Seagate 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320 GB Average Read: 66.7 MB/s

I have a question:

If I do a Raid5 in this controller, with 4 hard disk, I would can utilize this RAID in differnce SO?

What I mean with this. If in this raid, I would can partition in 3 parts. One for WindowsXP, one for Linux, And the other for MacOSX in the same RAID?

The RR2300 (PCIe 1x) is bandwith limited.

I have a RR2310 (PCIe x4) that is seated in a 1x PCIe slot.

As you see on the picture, the transfer rate is constant, which indicate

that the disks are "bandwith hungry"

rr23104xwdre2500gbvc6.jpg

The test was taken with 4 x 500GB WD RE2

FYI: PCI-Express can do 200 MB/s net per lane (20% overhead is because of 8B/10B encoding).

</nitpick>

Edit: Oh, didn't realize this was my first post. Oh well... Anyway, as long as you're copying data from or to a single harddrive it won't matter that the 1-lane card will be bandwidth limited (not with today's harddrives anyway).

Edited by boli

BTW.. forgot to mention that the RR2310 works on PCIe x1 slots.

But you have to do a little mod in order for it to work, just remove part of the backend of your PCIe x1 slot.

The picture show an open PCIe x4 slot, but the mod works on x2 and x1 slots too..

as890slotsju5.jpg