patrick_

Vista Installation

I haven't tried Vista yet, so I'm wondering, can a user customize installation? That is can you customize the installation from the original DVD?

In WinXP you have to make your own disk to customize, because none is allowed during installation. In 98 you could select any programs you need (and don't).

Personally I think it's annoying that you first have to install the basics and after that have to remove anything you don't need. Not even talking about that it's impossible to remove mediaplayer after installation.

I would recommend directing your query to MS pre-sales support. I believe that slipstreamed and modified OPK/OEM installs have been in violation of the consumer EULA since NT 5. The new Vista image based installer would add difficulty to the technical side of things, as all of the apps may "already be installed" on the retail CD image.

Do you have your hands on an OEM preload kit, or are you working with the retail version?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Never heard that it's in violation with the EULA. The tool to modify XP Pro's installation in on the disc. I don't use it because it only allow some modification and so I have my own tool.

Anyways, it's the only way to install on SATA (on XP) without diskette.

Also all updates can be slipstreamed; there's no other use for that than modified installs.

I thought everyone uses modified installs to setup their computers.

Anyways, it's the only way to install on SATA (on XP) without diskette.

FYI, Vista supports loading drive controller drivers from USB key and CD now...

I would recommend directing your query to MS pre-sales support. I believe that slipstreamed and modified OPK/OEM installs have been in violation of the consumer EULA since NT 5. The new Vista image based installer would add difficulty to the technical side of things, as all of the apps may "already be installed" on the retail CD image.

Do you have your hands on an OEM preload kit, or are you working with the retail version?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

I can't find it now, but there was an interview a few months ago with one of the Vista managers, and he touted one of the new features is that the Vista equivalent of the OEM preload kit is included with EVERY copy of Vista; and slipstreaming is much easier, and officially allowed. (They may not provide tech support for it, but it is no longer considered gray territory like it was before.)

I can't find it now, but there was an interview a few months ago with one of the Vista managers, and he touted one of the new features is that the Vista equivalent of the OEM preload kit is included with EVERY copy of Vista; and slipstreaming is much easier, and officially allowed. (They may not provide tech support for it, but it is no longer considered gray territory like it was before.)

All I can say is... Thank Mother F'ing god! No more "F6" on boot, insert SCSI diskette, install windows, insert the Mobo mfr's CD, install MB drivers, reboot, go to NV/ATI website, DL and install graphics driver, reboot, Run Windows Update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run winfdows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot, run windows update, reboot.

Frank