Chrysalis

raptor sata

Hi I got a raptor 36 gig hd about 2 months ago, model number is "SATA WDC WD360ADFD-00NLR1". Previous to using the raptor I had a 12 gig partition at the start of a almost full 120gig pata drive for my OS.

Since getting the raptor I have noticed what seems like increased seek times (slower loading apps/docs etc.) and when its been used there is a noticeble pause on the pc like it hogs resources. Simply downloading email in outlook appears to make the raptor work hard.

From what I have read on here this drive is the latest generation of raptor or the latest but one, I did spend a lot of money on the drive considering I could have got a 7200rpm 250gig for the same price and so feel ripped off.

The drive is currently been used on a asrock939 dual sata board on the jmicron sata controller, I have read bad things about the jmicron controller so considering moving it to the sata1 controller on the board.

I have some questions.

1 - Should my raptor be faster then normal 7200rpm drives in particular pata ones.

2 - Can ncq/tcq be disabled on this drive if so how and should I do it.

3 - If I want to increase cluster sizes whats the best way to do this so I am formatting the partition ready? windows currently resides on it so the format would have to be done in the setup program but that uses 4kb clusters. I have partition manager so the ideas I can think of to achieve a higher cluster size are long winded like installing windows on another hd just so I can format with partition manager. :(

To note the drive is under 30% full and has been defragmented and has very low fragmentation.

Since getting the raptor I have noticed what seems like increased seek times (slower loading apps/docs etc.) and when its been used there is a noticeble pause on the pc like it hogs resources. Simply downloading email in outlook appears to make the raptor work hard.

Either the HDD is having problems, or you have a software issue. Raptors (and all HDDs for that matter) don't often fail in the manner that you are describing.

Dumb question. When was the last time you ran a virus scan and spyware detector?

Either the HDD is having problems, or you have a software issue. Raptors (and all HDDs for that matter) don't often fail in the manner that you are describing.

Dumb question. When was the last time you ran a virus scan and spyware detector?

36 gig platter Raptor is not faster than a 100-160 gig single platter 7200 drive. Densety is better then 10000RPM.

If your disc is more then 80% full, it will be a lot slower.

Check for spyware. If you have a mac/*nix. You cant have it. Spyware slows down everything.

If there are faulty sectors, the drive needs to remapp them = slower. Check smart status on the drive. Speedfan is a good program to see SMART status.

///Kind regards

36 gig platter Raptor is not faster than a 100-160 gig single platter 7200 drive. Densety is better then 10000RPM.

Only if you count Sequential performance; but that's not all that important; except for benchmarks maybe.

Realistic performance means a lot of random performance; and that is where a raptor will excell in due to it's 10k rpm rotation speed; the IOps for different workloads is much faster than a 7200rpm drive. You can't just judge from the STR's that would be like saying P4 3GHz is faster than Athlon 64 2.4GHz because the clockspeed is higher -- both are wrong assumptions.

Did a quick googling of ASRock 939 and found that it uses an ULi chipset. It's possible that the chipset drivers are buggy or not optimized, esp the PCI bus driver. I remember I used to have a VIA chipset mobo which turns out to have a PCI bug that reduced the PCI bandwidth by a third. I decided to only use Intel chipsets from that time on.