Sign in to follow this  
VIKINGMAN

Once again! How was it with partitioning!?

Hi all.

I know I've read it before - in here! :oops: But at the time it wasn't actual - now it is! :lol:

Q: I'm getting my brand new X15-36LP in a matter of days. :D I'm gonna do a fresh install of Win XP (NTFS) on it. How should I format it, together with my old Cheetah 10k (9.1 GB).

What I've thought of is: Make two partitions on the X15, 9.2 GB each. Same on the Cheetah, 2x4.5 GB each. I'm then gonna boot from the first partition on the X15. Would it be an idea to move temp and/or IE-cache to the Cheetah's first partition!? :?

Thanx for any suggestions.

Cheers!

I have my 2 SCSI drives set up similar to what you are proposing, I just don't split the hard drives into 2 even partitions. On my 18 gig Atlas 10K II I have it split into a 5 gig and a 13 gig partition, with the OS on the 5 gig partition. On my 9 gig Atlas10K, I have it split into a 2 gig partition and a 7 gig partition. I then set a pagefile up on the 2 gig partition.

I've heard it can improve performance to have the pagefile running on a seperate hard drive on its own partition. Seems to work fine, hard to tell if it makes much of a difference though.

anybody else feel like weighing in on the whole separate partition for the pagefile issue?

Recomended. Change your Temp folders (Tmp, IE Cache, etc.) to there too.

Why partition a hard drive when the XP OS can handle the size you have bought as a single partition? (Unless you are installing a dual boot)

Splitting (partitioning) a single hard drive will not improve it's performance.

Having a second (scsi) hard drive (Basic Disc in WinXP) can improve performance under the right circumstances.

Hi all.

I know I've read it before - in here!  :oops: But at the time it wasn't actual - now it is!  :lol: 

Q: I'm getting my brand new X15-36LP in a matter of days.  :D  I'm gonna do a fresh install of Win XP (NTFS) on it. How should I format it, together with my old Cheetah 10k (9.1 GB).

What I've thought of is: Make two partitions on the X15, 9.2 GB each. Same on the Cheetah, 2x4.5 GB each. I'm then gonna boot from the first partition on the X15. Would it be an idea to move temp and/or IE-cache to the Cheetah's first partition!?  :? 

Thanx for any suggestions.

Cheers!

There is absolutely no performance benefit (and, quite likely, some performance penalty) associated with have a single HDD with multiple partitions, especially if you were planning on using one of the partitions for the pagefile.

Does creating a "system" partition on a faster drive(raid or scsi) and making this the bootable drive help with overall speed?

Does it make sense to have a separate partion for the operating system and a separate partition for program files in case you want to reinstall without messing with your data partitiion?

What about partioning a drive with a backup operating system in case of emergency?

I am not a huge fan of partitioning because its more that I have to keep track of in my head!! I am wondering if I should partition my 2 x 80gb Raid drive?

Thanks for any help!

Why partition a hard drive when the XP OS can handle the size you have bought as a single partition? (Unless you are installing a dual boot)

Splitting (partitioning) a single hard drive will not improve it's performance.

Having a second (scsi) hard drive (Basic Disc in WinXP) can improve performance under the right circumstances.

I don't know about the others but I partiton my hard drive because if I need to nuke windows I won't loose the rest of my hard drive. I have C for windows, D for dowloads, E for games, and F for odds and ends.