latebeat

Yet another configuration question about video editing

Hello to all!

YEs! This is another hdd suggestion regarding video editing. :P

I recently upgraded to a nice core duo cpu and I finally decided to transfer all my miniDV tapes into DVDs so I can distribute to family and friends. My previous system was a P4 3.2Ghz (northwood) and for the capturing and editing I was using 2 hitachi deskstars, 120 gb each (cant remember their models) combined into RAID0 using the motherboard's chip ICH5R. I don't have massive storage requirements as I usually do 1-2 tapes at a time, transfer them to DVD and then delete all the captured videos.

I do this for a hobbie and I like to mess about a bit with the video, nothing fancy just simple stuff like adding soundtracks, fixing the colors, simple transition effects, etc. However with my previous machine it used to take me ages just to finish one tape (capturing, editing and transcoding to dvd) as the editing was quite slow, so eventually I gave up and ended up with a ton of miniDV tapes.

Hopefully with this new box I will do much better BUT I haven't decided what drives to use for capturing and editing.

1) First of all will it make much difference if I use 2 drives as RAID-0? -I don't wanna use more than two as it will get quite expensive.

2) I've been reading in all the drive reviews that STR doesn't mean much in actual usage of the system, is this true in my case as well or should I look for drives with the maximum sustained transfer rates?

3) I've got the following drives available and I'm willing to buy one more:

-1 Maxtor Atlas 15K II, 147GB ( win)

-1 Maxtor Atlas 15K II, 147GB ( empty)

-1 WD Raptor 150gb (linux)

Raid controllers:

-SATA RAID via mobo

-SCSI RAID (dell perc u160)

So I either buy another raptor, transfer linux to the other Atlas and combine the two into raptors into RAID-0

or... I buy another drive, transfer windows there and use the two Atlases as RAID-0.

However if I go down that road, I'll be limited by the PCI bus since I don't have any PCI-X slots. On the other hand if STR doesn't matter much that won't make much difference.

So give me your suggestions please :-)

thanks

latebeat

A DV stream is 3.6MBytes/sec. You do not need raid 0. Your current drives are more than capable of handling any DV that you throw at them.

Frank

That's only when the data is read in realtime. When you have to quickly seek over the (uncompressed at that stage) video over and over again the data rates are much higher.

That's only when the data is read in realtime.

I do not understand this statement in regards to DV capture and editing.

When you have to quickly seek over the (uncompressed at that stage) video over and over again the data rates are much higher.

When and why are you uncompressing it?

Frank

I do not understand this statement in regards to DV capture and editing.

When and why are you uncompressing it?

Frank

It's much easier working with uncompressed video when doing editing and applying effects. Whenever I tried working directly on compressed video everything was so slow that I couldn't do much. It is just in the final stage before everything needs to burned into a DVD that the video gets compressed.

It's much easier working with uncompressed video when doing editing and applying effects. Whenever I tried working directly on compressed video everything was so slow that I couldn't do much. It is just in the final stage before everything needs to burned into a DVD that the video gets compressed.

I don't understand. Why is applying an effect to a compressed video "much" slower than applying it to an uncompressed one? NLVE programs (when editing) don't apply the effect to the video, they apply it to the preview image (unless Adobe is absolutely retarded that no other NLVE program does). Nothing is changed/applied to the source video "ever". If you save mid-project, you are only saving the project file with the timeline and effect/transition metadata.

Frank

Edited by Big Buck Hunter