zakwer

Help needed with Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini: No space left on Device

HI.

I have had a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini for more than a year, and it has happened to me twice that I can´t access the data through ethernet, nor use the web administrator, it gives the error I pasted at the end of the message ("No space left on Device").

Other that that, I can access through USB, so it is not critical by now.

I asked Lacie and they precribe a software reinstallation.

I did this in the past and it does solve the problem, but at the cost of erasing the users and shares information, so I have to recreate those (a bit boring).

I think the problem is with some file that grows little by little in the System partition, the most likely one is the "log" file. I have been erasing it periodically and everything worked well, but I forgot to do it and I have the error again.

I ask somebody who owns this disk to please indicate me:

"What is the path to the function to erase the log, found in the "status" tab of the web administrator interface?"

I mean: I don´t want the address of that page (it should be http://edmini/cgi-bin/admin/status) but rather the address of the link the "eras log" button points to.

It should be viewable in the source code of the page, I guess.

If you have the disk and want to help me, please send this through this post and/or to zakwer_3dATyahoo.es

It will be an immense help for me.

Thanks

This is the error:

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 69: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 88: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

(...) Many lines go by like that...

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 392: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 1263: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

<td height="17" background="/images/bg_horizontal2.jpg" align="right"> <a href="http://www.lacie.com" target="_blank">

<font size="1"><b>© Copyright LaCie 2004</b></font></a>   </td>

<td width="5" background="/images/bg_grey.gif"></td>/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 1279: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

HI.

I have had a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini for more than a year, and it has happened to me twice that I can´t access the data through ethernet, nor use the web administrator, it gives the error I pasted at the end of the message ("No space left on Device").

I did this in the past and it does solve the problem, but at the cost of erasing the users and shares information, so I have to recreate those (a bit boring).

I think the problem is with some file that grows little by little in the System partition, the most likely one is the "log" file. I have been erasing it periodically and everything worked well, but I forgot to do it and I have the error again.

"What is the path to the function to erase the log, found in the "status" tab of the web administrator interface?"

I mean: I don´t want the address of that page (it should be http://edmini/cgi-bin/admin/status) but rather the address of the link the "eras log" button points to.

If you have the disk and want to help me, please send this through this post and/or to zakwer_3dATyahoo.es

Thanks

This is the error:

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 69: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 88: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 392: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 1263: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

<td height="17" background="/images/bg_horizontal2.jpg" align="right"> <a href="http://www.lacie.com" target="_blank">

<td width="5" background="/images/bg_grey.gif"></td>/www/cgi-bin/admin/users: line 1279: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

Try http://192.168.0.xxx/cgi-bin/admin/log?do=clearlog

Good luck, friend.

Rikard

Ps. Do you know how to clone the drive so I can replace it with a larger hdd?

>Try >http://192.168.0.xxx/cgi-bin/admin/log?do=clearlog

¡¡¡¡¡YES!!!!!!

Oh man you don´t know how happy I am now.

Thanks thanks thanks.

I am going to rub it on Lacie´s support Dpt face!!!!!!

>Good luck, friend.

>Rikard

>Ps. Do you know how to clone the drive so I can replace it with a larger hdd?

This is major hacking but seems worth it. Anyway, I guess it has the info you need.

http://www.federated.com/~jim/edmini/index.html

http://luon.net/~admar/journal/LaCieEthernetDiskMini.html

"Good luck, friend" ;-)

Gerardo

hi, i am having the same problem as with the original post. however i followed nova28's suggestion, and unfortunately the problem does not seem to be fixed.

data from the root page

/www/cgi-bin/public/sharelist: line 47: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

<td width="5" background="/images/bg_grey.gif"></td>/www/cgi-bin/public/sharelist: line 226: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

and when i enter http://(host)/cgi-bin/admin/log?do=clearlog, i receive the login form and then this is the returned data:

/www/cgi-bin/admin/log: line 48: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

<td width="5" background="/images/bg_grey.gif"></td>/www/cgi-bin/admin/log: line 244: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device

normally i would try to follow lacie's suggestion by reinstalling the software, but that process requires connecting via USB, and unfortunately the drive is located back at home (i am currently travelling abroad--the whole point of the edmini was so that i could access them remotely!).

any help is greatly appreciated!

I tried what suggested but the first time didn't work. Then I shut down the drive, restarted it and connected the suggested url:

http://(my Big Disk IP)/cgi-bin/admin/log?do=clearlog

and worked.

Unfortunately, the following still don't work:

1. Updates: in the configuration page it shows "No updates found" on the right of "Updates Log", but if I click the Updates button from the Configuration page, appears that a new update is available. Then if I click Start I get the usual error despite the HTML page is displayed correctly: "cp: Write Error: No space left on device"

2. If I click the Disk tab, nothing is displayed.

Any idea? Is there anything else that need to be reset? This issue is anyway very disappointing: the drive should be take care of itself if the space is running out and the LaCie assistance can't tell me nothing, just backup and re-install... that's ridiculous.

Thank you for sharing thoughts.

Best,

Fab.

Anybody has any update on this problem? I have a similar problem to fablau´s.

This is using Ubuntu linux to repair the disk. I got the "no free space" error and after having a look at the partitions, it turns out one of them was full so the root partition had mounted read-only.

Void your warranty (your choice, not mine) by removing the cover and plug in one of those usb - ide boards to the edmini's disk. Be careful pulling out the ribbon connector it's not designed to be taken apart so easily. I used a screwdriver at each end to gently pull out the connector then bend it back so you can plug in your own ide connector. You need to use the Lacie's own power supply it's too tricky to swap out. Connect up your USB cable to your own linux machine and power up. Mine is Ubuntu 8.04

When you power on the lacie you get three disks mounting. Two of the disks have /etc directories.

In my case these mounted disks were called /media/disk-1 and /media/disk-2

You need to edit the /etc/fstab file on BOTH disks like this:

steve@blah:$ sudo nano /media/disk-1/etc/fstab

Change the ROOT mount line of the fstab file which (if your problem is the same as mine) should look like this:

# Mount the ROOT filesystem from the hard drive

/dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults,ro 1 1

Change the ro to rw

/dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults,rw 1 1

Save and exit with CTRL + O, CTRL + X

Do the same to the fstab file on the other partition

steve@blah:$ sudo nano /media/disk-2/etc/fstab

Change the ro to rw again and save and exit

/dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults,rw 1 1

Now unmount all the /media mounted disks, power off your Lacie then plug the internal IDE connector back in then turn it back on.

After doing this mine worked. I hope yours does too.

ok I only registered to help you out, guys!

I found out that actually hitting reload a bunch of time eventually renders the page. I suspect a race condition in the code that works favorably for me here :) Anyways, I just disabled the media server and cleared the log and now it works just fine. I think the media server, especially with a shitload of files to index, runs the disk usage up.

Good luck!

ok I only registered to help you out, guys!

I found out that actually hitting reload a bunch of time eventually renders the page. I suspect a race condition in the code that works favorably for me here :) Anyways, I just disabled the media server and cleared the log and now it works just fine. I think the media server, especially with a shitload of files to index, runs the disk usage up.

Good luck!

I've had the same problem on my EdMini disk (which I've had for >5 years). After trying the http://edmini/cgi-bin/admin/log?do=clearlog trick a number of times I still got the same "no space left" error messages.

I then went on to try osaeris1's trick of making the file systems read/writeable in the fstab - after putting the device back together, I found I still had exactly the same problems.

I then took the device apart once more (for more information on this see http://jim.studt.net/edmini/). After mounting the two partitions once again (partitions 7 and 8) I notice that partition 8 was 100% full (type 'df -h' to see this). I browsed along to /var/log and noticed a number of large log files in there, particularly an old messages file called messages.0. I just deleted that, and perused along to the samba folder (/var/log/samba). That folder was packed full of large log files which I simply deleted the lot of. That took me down to 85% disk usage on that partition. Not bad I thought, but thought I bet there was more stuff hanging around.

I then typed 'du -sch *' in the /var directory and noticed the lock folder was coming up tops for disk usage (how strange). It turned out that samba had not been cleaning up after itself, and the sessionid.tdb and connections.tdb files were each very large. After emptying these files, I was now down to 35% disk usage. I thought that's enough for now. I put the device back together and it's working brilliantly once more.

This document was useful in telling me about the tdb files, and which ones I could and couldn't delete: http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/net...install_06.html.

I hope this helps some of you.

James.

HI.

Thanks

This is the error:

Just signed up to help you. Path to La Cie Device = http://192.168.xx.xx/cgi-bin/admin/status. I am disappointed with La Cie equipment. It will not withstand a power interruption! Have recently installed two Intel NAS SS4200-E. Excellent product although more expensive with mirrored drives. My equivalent to La Cie NAS only heaps more reliable is Micronet SP810

This might sound stupid, but it works. The status page and the clear logs page, have you guys tried accessing it from INTERNET EXPLORER 7 or 8, and not other browsers?

I'm telling you because when you have this error, the rest of the HTML will not load in any other browser but IE! You will get the error "/www/cgi-bin/admin/status: line 46: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device ", as I have right now, on the very top, but the HTML still loads in IE, while it's just code in other browsers. I know I have this problem when the lacie just starts blinking 2 seconds after turning it on and the darn services didn't even fully load yet! Use IE, clear the log, all myspace is back.

So use IE, and you will get into the interface to clear the log and disable whatever you need. And I get this for no reason, even though I clearly have 150gb of free data!!!!! I cleared the log, map a drive, BOOM 150gb of free space. No damn way that a log file filled up that much space! This is the part that pisses me off. I get this like 3 times a year.

This might sound stupid, but it works. The status page and the clear logs page, have you guys tried accessing it from INTERNET EXPLORER 7 or 8, and not other browsers?

I'm telling you because when you have this error, the rest of the HTML will not load in any other browser but IE! You will get the error "/www/cgi-bin/admin/status: line 46: cannot create temp file for here document: No space left on device ", as I have right now, on the very top, but the HTML still loads in IE, while it's just code in other browsers. I know I have this problem when the lacie just starts blinking 2 seconds after turning it on and the darn services didn't even fully load yet! Use IE, clear the log, all myspace is back.

So use IE, and you will get into the interface to clear the log and disable whatever you need. And I get this for no reason, even though I clearly have 150gb of free data!!!!! I cleared the log, map a drive, BOOM 150gb of free space. No damn way that a log file filled up that much space! This is the part that pisses me off. I get this like 3 times a year.

SOLVED!

This did the trick - I was using Firefox and didn't even think to try IE. Have been reading for several hours on different ways to hack it so you can have access to the disk and this is the way to go! Thanks buddy!

SOLVED!

This did the trick - I was using Firefox and didn't even think to try IE. Have been reading for several hours on different ways to hack it so you can have access to the disk and this is the way to go! Thanks buddy!

I just register myself to help you all on this issue.

The solution is extremely easy: you need to reset the NAS server back to factory settings. You will NOT lose your data. This has been tested.

Below are instructions for a total reset of the device:

1. Switch OFF your EDmini

2. Switch ON your EDmini but HOLD DOWN the power button.

3. After a few seconds (~15s) the button’s LED should begin blinking. RELEASE then the button.

4. Quickly after having released the button (~3s), it’s LED will continue to blink but with a different rhythm. PUSH AGAIN the power button and HOLD IT down.

5. A few seconds after having pushed again the button, it’s LED will continue to blink but with a third different rhythm. You can now definitely release the button.

At this stage, your device should have been configured back to its factory default settings.

6. You will need to go rename the share to whatever it was called in the first place. The ip will probably change so download the LaCie IP Configurator from the Lacie website, it will find it and report back with the ip address is now using.

You will need to set it back to a static ip before you install the shares on the workstations. If not it will use DHCP.

Also I will like to answer:

>Ps. Do you know how to clone the drive so I can replace it with a larger hdd?

Replace the HD is very easy I changed the original 500Gb HD Ethernet Disk Mini v2 with a 2 TB drive. To do it you can follow next steps:

1. Using a screwdriver take out the 2 back screws

2. Slide out the housing drive

3. Take out the 4 screws of the HD and disconnect both wires (power and data)

4. Connect the old and the new HD to a computer internally (using sata cable) or externally (with a USB 3,5 box)

5. Start a partition program like GParted Live (Live CD) or Norton Patition Magic

6. Copy the old disk partitions to the new drive:

a./dev/sdb1 extended (980.50 MB) containing:

a1./deb/sdb5 linux-swap (125.45 MB)

a2./dev/sdb6 unknown (7.81 MB)

a3./dev/sdb7 ext3 (7.81 MB)

a4./dev/sdb8 ext3 (125.48 MB)

a5./dev/sdb9 ext3 (713.79 MB)

b./dev/sdb7 xfs (take all remaing space, in my case almost 1.8 TB)

7. Insert the new drive to the Lacie Ethernet Disk mini box carefully

8. Start the drive and go to Disk and you will see how you get this extra space.

9. In case something is not working properly try the steps above to total resest.

Good luck!!

Hi. Good to see some feed still alive...

First of all: YES, I am VERY stupid!

I was trying to upgrade my EDMINI to a 1Tb disk and followed the intructions from the topics in this thread. Then disaster struck... I wanted to format the destination drive that was going to be used as replacement. Since I had both the original drive and the replacement drive on USB connector (here comes the stupidity) I accidentally wiped the orginal drive. Good thing: there was no important data on it. Bad thing: the last comment assumed the file system as not being important.

Now I have an aluminium brick that doesn't do anything anymore :(

Is there anyone out there who can provide me some information on how to get the original files back onto the EDMINI? I searched the corners of the internet but came up empty by the end of the day.

Thanks in advance. Vince

Hi. Good to see some feed still alive...

First of all: YES, I am VERY stupid!

I was trying to upgrade my EDMINI to a 1Tb disk and followed the intructions from the topics in this thread. Then disaster struck... I wanted to format the destination drive that was going to be used as replacement. Since I had both the original drive and the replacement drive on USB connector (here comes the stupidity) I accidentally wiped the orginal drive. Good thing: there was no important data on it. Bad thing: the last comment assumed the file system as not being important.

Now I have an aluminium brick that doesn't do anything anymore :(

Is there anyone out there who can provide me some information on how to get the original files back onto the EDMINI? I searched the corners of the internet but came up empty by the end of the day.

Thanks in advance. Vince

Hey, not sure if you still need this, but I found myself reviving one of these "aluminium bricks" after it sat for ~3-4 years in the storage with no use, after a drive failure and a broken warranty seal. So better later then never.

I found the system partition dumps here: http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Main_Page

Also, you will need to do this under a linux box with the dd command (be carefull). It is the best way.

This articles should help (it helped me):

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=131

http://forum.nas-central.org/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=2434

If you are not comfortable with Linux, ask someone who is, and DO NOT attach any other drive then the one for Lacie on the box you are doing the dd on. It's for your data safety. ;-) One mistype and dd will slash all data.

Also, I can provide you with the exact image dumps for dd if you need them, on nas-central.org are 2 or 3 different versions (I kept safe the ones that worked the best for me). This keeping in mind that you have the ED Mini v2. If not, read around.

Hope I was of help, if not, sorry for waking up this zombie thread. ;-)

Cheers.