donald24

home-fileserver 24/7-use and HDD-powerdown

Hello there,

I've recently built a RAID5-Fileserver with a RAID1-system-drive a six HDD-Raid5 running on a ARC1220 8xSata raid-controller. All in all there are 9 hdds running all the time, and the whole system is taking about 192watts of power when idling. The server needs to be running all the time, but most of the time the six RAID5 hdds are not used.

The raid-controller has the option to power down the hdds of an idling file-system, and that would significantly cut the powerusage down to 130watts, what then would mean quite a few bucks less on my bill.

When speaking of approx. 100 powerups/downs per month, would it reduce the lifetime of the hdds?

I am running WD5000YS RE2 drives, which I think are more build for continous use.

What would you recommend, power down or keep them running?

Thanks,

Don

I have had problems with drives not powering requiring reboots but that was using a desktop m'board with a 6 disk array, so perhaps just a BIOS issue.

You Q is more about HDD reliability with the powering up/down really, in which case i would say this:

You are definately saving power and money when the disks are powered down

You are definately not using the disks when they are in this state (the drive cannot fail when it is not in use!)

As opposed to:

The drives might fail sooner because of the increased number of spin ups/downs.

Also, you will be doing your bit to save the environment, so you can walk around with your head held high (until a HDD fails that is....)!

Hello there,

I've recently built a RAID5-Fileserver with a RAID1-system-drive a six HDD-Raid5 running on a ARC1220 8xSata raid-controller. All in all there are 9 hdds running all the time, and the whole system is taking about 192watts of power when idling. The server needs to be running all the time, but most of the time the six RAID5 hdds are not used.

The raid-controller has the option to power down the hdds of an idling file-system, and that would significantly cut the powerusage down to 130watts, what then would mean quite a few bucks less on my bill.

When speaking of approx. 100 powerups/downs per month, would it reduce the lifetime of the hdds?

I am running WD5000YS RE2 drives, which I think are more build for continous use.

Thanks,

Don

100 power cycle per month is very light duty. I would imagine the wear and tear on the drive by keeping it running would be higher than the 100 load/unload.

If you are still worried, have a longer wait time before it goes into sleep as a compromise.

Hello there,

Thanks,

Don

100 power cycle per month is very light duty. I would imagine the wear and tear on the drive by keeping it running would be higher than the 100 load/unload.

If you are still worried, have a longer wait time before it goes into sleep as a compromise.

I've "heard" each power down / power up is approximately 6 hours of wear/tear on the drive.

thanks for your thoughts!

I've decided to power them down after one hour of inactivety. it just takes four seconds for the array to be responsive again, and I do really feel better that way..

for the money I save, I could afford two exchange drives per year and do my part for the environment. however these drives come with a five-year-warranty, after that they are going to be sold anyway.

my only concern now is the higher risk of two or more drives failing at a time due to the power cycles. maybe I should have gone with raid6, but now it's too late.

Don

Wouldn't the drives be exchanged for free anyway under warranty?

Regardless, most drives these days are rated in the region of 50,000 load/unload cycles. At 100 a month, that's a long way away.

Wouldn't the drives be exchanged for free anyway under warranty?

Regardless, most drives these days are rated in the region of 50,000 load/unload cycles. At 100 a month, that's a long way away.

I recall the 74GB raptors are only good for 25,000 start/stop cycles.

I said "most". The Raptor is a noticeable exception in far more ways than just that!.

Even so, 25,000 start/stop cycles will last you over twenty years at that rate. I'm sure the 5-year warranty'll cover it :P