ErikR

What to do with old hard drives

I'm going to be building a new system soon but will have some IDE hard drives left over from my previous machine. In fact, I've got 5 or 6 drives lying around collecting dust, because I don't have anywhere to put them. Is there an external storage setup I could build with these drives? Any suggestions on a DIY storage array?

Thanks in advance

Due to the power draw (and hence electricity bill) and cooling requirements for old drives, I generally post 'em for sale here on SR or on Ars Technica.

When you can grab 400GB for $100 on sale and your collection of old drives is 20GB, 40GB, and 80GB... it's almost silly to use them. :( So I sell them... or take them out to the shooting range along with my friend's long guns. :D

They can be used for making cold back-ups. Use them like a CD: burn once, place one copy in your drawer and another to your bank's safety deposit box. Not many civilians enjoy the luxury of multiple and/or offsite back-ups.

I don't bother with offsite back-ups though. I do keep multiple copies of the few most important pieces of data. I even use drives with capacities varying between 544MB to 4.3GB. 4.3GB is enough HDD space to store a back-up or two off an OS install. Faster to recover back from clean install image than to install Windows again and all third-party applications that could be included in the image. Offsite back-up of OS is pretty useless because if the house was to burn down (along with the computer), the back-up would be completely useless.

For something greater than 40gb, I would use them to upgrade other pcs.

For something greater than 20gb, I would use them in external enclosure.

For something greater than 10gb, I would give them away for free.

For something smaller than that, take it apart and salvage the magnet, and put those magnet inside my car's engine or transmission drain pan to collect metal particles.

I'm going to be building a new system soon but will have some IDE hard drives left over from my previous machine. In fact, I've got 5 or 6 drives lying around collecting dust, because I don't have anywhere to put them. Is there an external storage setup I could build with these drives? Any suggestions on a DIY storage array?

Try this:

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

Is there an external storage setup I could build with these drives? Any suggestions on a DIY storage array?

If you have old PC bits as well you could combine all the disks JBOD and create a storage server using this great software: I have read good reviews of it recently, now that they have drastically increased the number of controllers it supports, including onboard RAID controllers. Its a fun project really as it is beta.

http://www.FreeNAS.org/