phoenix

Good hardware VPN/firewall

I want to get a hardware VPN/firewall strictly for play. I was browsing Netgear's web site for no particular reason and realized that I'd never used this sort of hardware. I'd like to get one cheap (used/refurbished is fine as long as it works!) to kick around and play with.

I know very, very little about networking products (always been a weak area for me) so I was hoping someone could point me towards a site that discusses these products (capabilities, reviews) or could list a couple of products that can be picked up on eBay for cheap. (And by cheap I really mean cheap--I've seen some of these things selling for $20 or less.) Nice-to-haves are: biggest feature list and configurability and protocol support for the price (so that there are more switches to flip and features to play with) and stability/strong online support resources (so that I'm not wasting that time chasing down bugs.) What I don't necessary need are lots of ports or bandwidth. Wired would be ideal.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. FYI, this is the sort of stuff I'm looking for:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/VPNandSSL/...allRouters.aspx

I should also add that at some point I'd like to get a good managed switch to play with as well. Desired features here include vlans, port configuration, some QoS, SNMP support and trunking/rate-limiting. What I don't need/want to pay for are lots of ports (feature-rich 4-8 port is fine if it cuts down the cost) or bandwidth (don't need gigabit). Same basic idea as before: cheap, stable, and don't need much scalability or bandwidth. Again, vendor doesn't really matter--just whomever is cheap and supported enough that I can search online when working through problems.

I'm not sure if it would make more sense to look at this as a "separate" toy from the previous vpn/firewall or whether I should look for a single device that does all these things (if it even exists, which it may not).

I recently installed a VPN/Firewall setup that consisted of 2 Zyxel ZyWall 2 Plus's and 1 Zywall 5. It was trivial to set up and so far has worked extremely well. They're a little pricey just for play though.

You could always find something that runs linux and shove monowall on it. That aside, Tomshardware's networking site occaisionally has some good articles on the subjetc.