Sign in to follow this  
slimpy

Beeping Noises Corresponding to Maxtor Spinup Problems

I have a mac G4 with 2 Maxtor drives. The master drive is a 60GB DiamondMax+, the slave is a 60GB D740X (Ball Bearing).

Every once in a while, upon wake from deep sleep, restart & cold boot, a single or double beep is made before my DM+ spins up. This beep is a very electronic noise, like a piezo buzzer in an alarm clock. Lately I've also experienced another intermittent (but much more disturbing problem). I get a double-beep every 30 seconds or so, and the drive will never spin up!! It is only my DMax+ drive that has this problem (regardless if it set as master, slave or even when it's a lone drive)

I've been following a thread on apple's discussion forum - where quite a number of other people are having problems with similar drives. It seems the final result of this problem is severe data corruption. From my own tests, I found that there is a possible link between system sleep and the beeping. All available diagnostic tests for the mac have been run on the drives - and apparently everything is fine.

Has anyone ever heard of drives making beeping noises (or causing other devices to beep)??? Is this some kind of warning of future failure?

Thanks,

Slimpy

What you're describing sounds like the delatch routine for taking the heads out of the park, since you say it only happens after coming out of sleep, power off, etc., all cases where the drive is trying to spin up. If that's the only time it's happening, then I wouldn't worry about it; it's likely a normal part of the drive routine.

However, the double beeps you're hearing seem to indicate the drive is having problems spinning up. This could be due to a variety of issues, from not enough current coming from your power supply, to a driver chip problem on the PCB, to firmware problems on the drive, to some mechanical problem on the drive.

I'd check your power supply to make sure the voltages are within spec (+/- 10% of nominal). Does this only happen when you have Power Saving features enabled? If so, try disabling them completely and then see if the problems persist. I've seen very strange things happen with my laptop due to quirks of the power management software.

Thanks for the reply.

The beeping problems have only occurred when the drive is trying to spin up. However, other people reporting similar problems have had beeping noises while their drive is sleeping (only acting normal again when powered back up.)

I originally thought it may have some connection with the power supply, but I now believe that my PS is more than capable (338 watt - for two drives & 1 AGP display card). All of my 4 other PCI slots are empty. In any case, how does one go about checking that power supply voltages are within +/-10% of nominal?

Maybe you're right about power management. Since I've turned off hard drive sleep, the problem has diminished somewhat. However, I should mention that it also seems to happen more frequently when switching between OS 9 & OS X (which are on different drives). What I can't figure out is why a software problem would only affect one drive and not the other... go figure... :?

Thanks again,

Slimpy

Maxtor drives have always made a beeping noise during spinup, if their bearings are starting to get worn.

My old Maxtor 7245 (240Mb unit) always beeped loudly when tryin to spin up from cold. Warm the drive up a bit and it spins up fine. I'm contributing the noise to bearing wear, as that drive is nearly 10 years old with heavy use all it's lifetime. I've had similar noises from a DM5120 when cold, too.

I wonder do the drives run hot in the G4's case, as they're way down in the bottom. Macs seem susceptable to disk failure - I've seen many WDs die in Macs for no apparent reason.

"Maxtor drives have always made a beeping noise during spinup, if their bearings are starting to get worn."

How come maxtor tech people don't know this? Why do they tell me that the drive has no way of making beeping noises?

As for worn bearings, I can see that it is possible. My machine is just over a year old, but my DMax+ has been quite heavily used (on average between 10-16 hours/day).

My hard drives have never really been hot to the touch - they seem to be running just over body temp most of the time.

After inspecting airflow, it seems that the big internal fan in the G4 case not only blows air across the top of the drives, but also sucks air from below & between the drives. However, my D740X is mounted directly above the DMax+, and I don't know if this significantly affects airflow.

slimpy

I originally thought it may have some connection with the power supply, but I now believe that my PS is more than capable (338 watt - for two drives & 1 AGP display card). All of my 4 other PCI slots are empty. In any case, how does one go about checking that power supply voltages are within +/-10% of nominal?

Use a voltmeter on the leads and see. Make sure you have a load first (some powersupplies won't work otherwise). It isn't so much a question of total wattage the power supply can output, but the quality of that power. You can have a 400 W supply but bad power, or a 250 W with good, consistent power.

I have 2 Maxtor HD's with what seems to be the same problem I ran the Maxtor PowerMax diagonistic and all 3 tests that Maxtor recomended showed good on both drives.

It is only when they come out of sleep or at bootup. The beep is more of a 'chrip' than a beep. There are 2 'chrips' together as a DTMF tone.

Maxtor also sugested a power supply problem, but this is only in the last 2 or 3 months. The drives, MB, and power supply are less than 2 years old. The only upgrade is 2 256MB of PC133 memory.

I have a Epox Via MB and 2k w/sp2.

I have a mac G4 with 2 Maxtor drives. The master drive is a 60GB DiamondMax+, the slave is a 60GB D740X (Ball Bearing).

Every once in a while, upon wake from deep sleep, restart & cold boot, a single or double beep is made before my DM+ spins up. This beep is a very electronic noise, like a piezo buzzer in an alarm clock. Lately I've also experienced another intermittent (but much more disturbing problem). I get a double-beep every 30 seconds or so, and the drive will never spin up!! It is only my DMax+ drive that has this problem (regardless if it set as master, slave or even when it's a lone drive)

I've been following a thread on apple's discussion forum - where quite a number of other people are having problems with similar drives. It seems the final result of this problem is severe data corruption. From my own tests, I found that there is a possible link between system sleep and the beeping. All available diagnostic tests for the mac have been run on the drives - and apparently everything is fine.

Has anyone ever heard of drives making beeping noises (or causing other devices to beep)??? Is this some kind of warning of future failure?

Thanks,

Slimpy

I had this same problem with the HD making (WHAT I THOUGHT TO BE) a beeping sound. I had also typed this symptopm in on search engines and read about others who had asked about the beeping in there maxtor HD and where basically laughed at and thought to be joking.

After further research I decided to hold the drive up to my ear while connected and making the beep sound and was relieved to find that it was a high pitched rubbing sound rather than a beep. Since i did not care about the data on my drive I removed the cover to the platters and yes indeed as the arm/pickup hit the outer edge section of the disk it made a high pitched swipping sound as if the tip of the arm was rubbing/making contact as the arm sweeped across this portion... So what can be mistaked as a beep is actuall the sound made by the pickup

I had same "squeak" on spinup and spindown on old Maxtors like 200MB, 400MB, 1GB or so. I can feel it squeaking/short beep just touching hard drive top when doing that.

Cheers, Wizard