Nilpunk

Cases & Power Supplies for 16+ Drive Arrays

The 8 TB fileserver that I currently have is built on a Chenbro RM41416 16-drive chassis (+1 for OS), using a 650 W supermicro power supply.

Having the backplane REALLY helps to simplify things.

The case can be had for as little as $410 (without P/S or BP), and typically run to about $650 with the BP, and another $200 or so for a 650 W PS (without redundancy. With, it's about $400).

A good source of what you'll need can be found via:

http://www.acmemicro.com (which is where I would recommend getting the chassis from).

It is a very robust system, and coupled with Tyan dual Socket F, 4GB DDR2-667 FBDIMMs, and an Adaptec 21610SA 16-channel SATA(-I) controller, and Solaris, it makes for a very powerful file server.

Alternative, you can go for two 8-port PCI-X or PCIe SATA (and/or SAS if your budget allows for it) to really leverage the full potential of the system as a fileserver.

The nice thing about doing it that way vs. with the stackers is that you don't really have to fumbled with extra parts. Each drive is on it's own removable tray, and I personally prefer that more so than stackers. (Plus, you don't have a big tower standing and if your other system is rackmountable or can be make rackmountable, so long as you have a rack - it can probably house whatever hardware growth you might encounter in the long term.

Note that, if you're going for about 5 TB, you can reduce the total drive count down to 10 drives, (or 11 if you're using RAID5); which also means that it can comfortably fit in a 3U 12-drive rackmount; where most of the "guts" of the system will be the same.

I believe the Chenbro model number for tha tis RM31212 ($549 @ Acmemicro).

While going with slightly smaller drives might be cheaper to buy, having more drives also means that the total power consumption's going to go up.

How about the Lian-Li PC-343B? Its $350 and has 18 external 5.25" bays. You could stick whatever 5in3, 4in3, or 3in2 bay device that you wanted. There is also a hardmount bracket for the rear of the case.

Now that looks to be almost my ideal case as it has tons of room for future growth. Only bad thing is only a handful of US websites sell it and none currently have it in stock (Xoxide.com says it's in stock but when added to the shopping cart it says "The quantity you requested is not available at this time"). I have a bad feeling about checking what the shipping cost would be to get that monster directly from Norway...

How about the Lian-Li PC-343B? Its $350 and has 18 external 5.25" bays. You could stick whatever 5in3, 4in3, or 3in2 bay device that you wanted. There is also a hardmount bracket for the rear of the case.

Now that looks to be almost my ideal case as it has tons of room for future growth. Only bad thing is only a handful of US websites sell it and none currently have it in stock (Xoxide.com says it's in stock but when added to the shopping cart it says "The quantity you requested is not available at this time"). I have a bad feeling about checking what the shipping cost would be to get that monster directly from Norway...

Now that's disappointing to hear. I was thinking about using that case for my future storage server. The only disadvantage to that case is that it is ATX, not EATX...