Ron_Jeremy

Would you build a single core pc today?

You know if you'd only drive the 270km to Fry's the E6300 is usually US$149 or E6400 $219 including a free ECS motherboard. Board only goes up to 300MHz but it is perfect if you have some old DDR (also takes DDR2) and an AGP card laying around. CSS really doesn't require that much power so it really depends what you already have...

CS source doesn't really benefit much from dual core processors .... a High end single core A64 will make a fine base for a machine to run not only CS:Source, but basicly any game.

I dont understand people who buys PC.

If you whant to do anything beside gaming, a mac is better.

A mac mini is under 500 dollars and have dual core processors.

And mac now runds windows.

Macs are simpler, dont have viruses and have far the best video/audio software.

Do not support virus makers = do not use windows.

You know if you'd only drive the 270km to Fry's the E6300 is usually US$149 or E6400 $219 including a free ECS motherboard. Board only goes up to 300MHz but it is perfect if you have some old DDR (also takes DDR2) and an AGP card laying around. CSS really doesn't require that much power so it really depends what you already have...

CS source doesn't really benefit much from dual core processors .... a High end single core A64 will make a fine base for a machine to run not only CS:Source, but basicly any game.

I dont understand people who buys PC.

If you whant to do anything beside gaming, a mac is better.

A mac mini is under 500 dollars and have dual core processors.

And mac now runds windows.

Oh please ... spare us the crap.

The mac mini is equiped with barely enough memory to run OS-X.

It doesn't come with a raptor bootup drive, and the only hope to expand on the storage is via external USB drives.

Its graphics subsystem, while definitely usable in 2D, doesn't have any ommmph beyond that.

It doesn't have a sound card, which while many people don't mind AC'97 audio, I prefer 5.1 sound and high quality sound.

The mini-mac for me costs close to $1000 in the minimum base configuration.

I will admit OS-X is nice, and for what it is, the mini-mac can be a good machine. But it is not what I want in a main computer, and I am sure a lot of people here agree.

For me to buy a mac for what I want, I'd have to get the Mac pro, and the prices for those are just scary (try $4000 for base configuration with a crap video card)

And thats why macs have never been able to interest me.

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, and rubbish again.

Macs are not simpler.

Macs do get viruses.

Macs don't always have the best video/audio software.

Do not support virus makers by not falling for viruses. Simple as that.

Well, I've been using this Powermac for 3 days now, & frankly I don't get what all the hype is. I'm not into making home movies, nor do I mess around with my photos all day long. I find it's no better than XP for anything else. And, well games are ummm outa the question. If anyone is interested in a brand-newish Powermac G5 lemme know, otherwise I'm gonna ebay it tonight & use the money for what I origianlly intended & play some CS. I want $CAN650 (+ shipping) for it :)

Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, and rubbish again.

Macs are not simpler.

Macs do get viruses.

Macs don't always have the best video/audio software.

Do not support virus makers by not falling for viruses. Simple as that.

Mac USED to be better when they had the PowerPC based processors. Development costs prohibits it; and such is the story for them switching to Intel.

Now, OSX is nothing more than the official release of the Darwin project.

(jokingly)

Abacus are simpler.

Abacus don't get viruses.

Since all games, video, and audio programs are math based anyways, abacus is best. :D

(jokingly)

OOH.....you got one of the GOOD G5's! :D (rather than this new crap that they're selling). CDN$650 it's too bad that I don't have a use for it at all except for maybe possibly attempting to throw AIX on it.

Thought I'd get back into Counter Strike (Source) to keep my boredom at bay during the winter. I can build a pretty cheap system based on a Athlon 3800+ (2.4GHz), Asus socket AM2 mobo & 7600GT. Going dual core means double the money since I'd want to go Conroe, not AMD X2. A 6400 Core 2 Duo alone is worth more than both the Athlon and motherboard. Factor in a decent Conroe motherboard (non-SLi), & I've doubled the cost of the pc (all other components being the same). Yeah, I know it's way faster, I've seen all the benches. But this is just gonna be a 'fun' CS box. Would you spend the extra dough?

You do not have to get an E6400. You could get a E6300 like I did, while getting better performance than the Athlon and the ability to play future games with only a video card upgrade.

Do you have links to benchmarks that show the E6300 is faster than the A64 3800+?

It depends on the application. I have an E6300 and I am getting much better performance from it than anyone can get from any single core Althon, as I run two instances of Folding@Home 24x7. :P

It depends on the application. I have an E6300 and I am getting much better performance from it than anyone can get from any single core Althon, as I run two instances of Folding@Home 24x7. :P

Of course, and this topic is about gaming. More specifically, Counter Strike.

Edited by Olaf van der Spek