Guest Eugene

Seagate Barracuda ES

Guest Eugene

The server version of Seagate's consumer-oriented Barracuda 7200.10 brings the highest-ever capacity to the enterprise market. StorageReview takes a look to see how the 750 GB monster compares to offerings from Hitachi, Maxtor, and WD.

Seagate Barracuda ES

Wow... performance is surprisingly good (which is to say, still underwhelming) for a Seagate drive.

I think four of these may go into my next harddisk upgrade...

I've put 16 of these drives into a client's Escalade RAID array.

As you would expect performance is good, but I may say that breaking through the 2Tb barrier for a single array remains irritating. My finger FU's didn't help. Benchmark array reads >350MByte/sec look impressive. Pity I don't have a processor that can do anything with data at that rate.

Get significant problems with simultaneous large file (8Gbytes) writes - the array goes to hell. So much for Escalade and NCQ....

Edited by makaira

This article has been up for almost 5 months now. Maybe it's time to remove the 'new' tag from the SR home page for it now?

The server version of Seagate's consumer-oriented Barracuda 7200.10 brings the highest-ever capacity to the enterprise market. StorageReview takes a look to see how the 750 GB monster compares to offerings from Hitachi, Maxtor, and WD.

Seagate Barracuda ES

Either it just me getting confused, or the text on page 1 of the review is not the right article..

The text keeps talking about the 2.5" Savvio drives.

IE:

"The following performance tests contrast the Savvio 15K.1 with the following contemporary 15K RPM Ultra320 units:"

Obviously, this has nothing to do with the Barracuda ES.

--Walburga