Sign in to follow this  
hammerdown

SATA Seagate Lasted One Week

Purchased a Seagate 160G SATA drive because it had a big sticker on it saying "5yr Warranty". After transferring all my vacation photos and HDTV recordings to it, I used it for one week without any issues. Then suddenly the BIOS did not recognize the drive!

Got an identical refurbed mobo off eBay and still would not show in BIOS.

Attached a PATA drive with a SATA adapter and it works fine on both mobos.

Took the drive into Best Buy, they hooked it up to one of thier machines and had the same issue- not showing up.

All I get is a very faint "chirp" sound from it randomly about every 2 minutes. I'm now realizing all my vacation photos are gone forever!

Hammer

Purchased a Seagate 160G SATA drive because it had a big sticker on it saying "5yr Warranty". After transferring all my vacation photos and HDTV recordings to it, I used it for one week without any issues. Then suddenly the BIOS did not recognize the drive!

Got an identical refurbed mobo off eBay and still would not show in BIOS.

Attached a PATA drive with a SATA adapter and it works fine on both mobos.

Took the drive into Best Buy, they hooked it up to one of thier machines and had the same issue- not showing up.

All I get is a very faint "chirp" sound from it randomly about every 2 minutes. I'm now realizing all my vacation photos are gone forever!

Hammer

Thats really sad to hear, but when you "transfered" them over, why did you delete your photos from whereever they were before?

5 year warranty means they replace the driver the first 5 years. Not that its indistructable till then.

For the future: There are statistics involved everywhere. If you have 10 million drives, with an average MTBF of 500k hours or something, than this only means that yours unlikely to fail the first 5 minutes. But not impossible. Just like lottery winners, there are also harddrive owners who beat the chances, just in the bad way. It seems you might be one of them this time.

If you only deleted your stuff from the old drive, your chances maybe best to get at least part of them back from that one.

....I'm now realizing all my vacation photos are gone forever!

Well, I was sort of being dramatic. I probably have 80% of my photos scattered around on various backups, and I'll have to get some kind of UnDelete software to find another 10%. It's just gonna be a pain to sort through it all and rebuild my collection.

Even shorter story: Seagate Sucks (from my POV)

Hammer

....I'm now realizing all my vacation photos are gone forever!

Well, I was sort of being dramatic. I probably have 80% of my photos scattered around on various backups, and I'll have to get some kind of UnDelete software to find another 10%. It's just gonna be a pain to sort through it all and rebuild my collection.

Hammer

Not sure whether seagate can maintain the quality as seems like they shifting more production towards China and thailand. Anyway, Handling and using HDD has its risk, regardless of any brands.

I undersatand why you feel like it's an extreme case of unreliabilty for something that is designed to last for 5+ years to fail after just one week, but in the first few weeks is actually the most common time for a hard-drive to fail. Trust me that folks in the know always consider a new hard-drive as being more of less "on probation" for the first few weeks at-least. Of course you should always have any important data backed up, but if I were to have some unbacked data on just one drive then a brand new drive would actually be the last place that I'd trust it to.

That's pretty extreme. At least it died right away, and not 6 months down the road.

Most drives have the "bathtub" curve of failures-- they fail right away (hours or days or a week)-- or they take a very long time to fail (years). That's just the way it goes.

That's pretty extreme. At least it died right away, and not 6 months down the road.

Most drives have the "bathtub" curve of failures-- they fail right away (hours or days or a week)-- or they take a very long time to fail (years). That's just the way it goes.

It is a rule of thumb with Computers, if it's gonna break it will in the first month or two. If it is still going after 2 months it probably will go forever.

It all comes down to defects in either materials or manufacturing, you have to realize that even the best manufacturing process as of today, could always be made better, there are enormously huge strides yet to be made in manufacturing of things of all types. Composites, material engineering, etc.

On the scale of manufacturing hard disk manufacturers make, somewhere along the line someone or some machine is going to miss something and a defect is going to slip by them. Quality control is no simple problem, and there's still tonnes of innovation left to be done on all levels.

Hard disks will soon be replaced to some extent by flash, and I can't wait for this to happen personally. I'm now using "flash" 3.5' drive to replace the floppy disk drive I've had forever.

Actually, I would wager his drive failed due to improper handling somewhere along the line, after it left the factory. That causes far more failures than one would think...

Ouch... hopefully you can restore the data from your other backups. Cash in on that warranty, and mabye look into a lottery ticket or so.

My own seagate drives are still running just fine after 5 years and many household moves.

I on average buy 3-4 drives a year so I always have 90%+ of my data backed up

Early on drives failed on me for various reason IBMGXp arrrgh etc and others

Ever since those failures I have had a fan blowing on EVERY drive I have ever bought and have never had a major problem since

I've had drives/partitions disappear or had single bad sectors but I retrieved 100% of the data

In short, always have a fan blowing on your drive unless you live in a cold miserable place

My last 4 drives 2Maxtors 6V00F0 and 2 Seagate s 3320620AS

Next Drives prolly those superfast WDC (not the raptors) or another 2 seagate :P