Sign in to follow this  
kreativ

200GB Seagate 7200.10 vs Maxtor DM10

Is it worth swapping out a 200GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10 PATA for a 200GB Seagate 7200.10 PATA?

In relation to the DM10, the 7200.10 is the next-generation product. I thought for sure I'd be getting a better performing and quieter drive. But from browsing the forums, it seems popular opinion is that Maxtor has better firmware than Seagate, and that the 7200.10 is noisy (just the SATA and/or larger capacities affected?).

Edited by kreativ

Forgot to add...the reason I stuck with 200GB is I thought it would be a 1 platter drive with the 7200.10 series. But it seems Seagate isn't using 200GB platters with the 7200.10 yet (if at all)?

Guest 888

You're right...

* There's no 1-platter 200GB drive on market yet (at least we don't know about it).

* Maxtor (pre-Seagate series) has better (in real life usage) firmware than Seagate.

* Seagate has higher STR (raw speed) which may in some specific usage scenarios give better results.

* About noisy or not it's hard to comment. It may vary on either side. Also insufficient amount of user feedback for Seagate.10 200GB model.

* Maxtor DM10 is known to be low-reliable drive and Seagate 7200.10 to be high-reliable drive. But of course this does not concern every individual drive of these series.

So the things are win-win so-and-so.