Nexus

Seagate vs. WD

As I'm building a new rig I'm a bit concerned about the whole Seagate 7200.10 high frequency noise affair. It looks as though its 50/50 when it comes to receiving a good drive.

I noticed that the WD SE16 WD3200KS drive is in the same price range but what about performance compared to the 7200.10? Ain't the WD3200KS an older drive?

BTW. I'm not that concerned about read/write noise I do however hate high frequency spindle noise.

So get the 7200.10 and hope for the best or by the WD3200KS?

Guest 888
BTW. I'm not that concerned about read/write noise I do however hate high frequency spindle noise.

This high frequency whine isn't just manufacturer-related. It may appear from every manufacturer's drive. It's more like production-batch related. So unfortunately like a lottery.

Although yes, the WD3200 has proved to be with more stable manufacturing quality. Yes, it is much older drive (WD3200KS is almost a year old and its basic model WD3200JB is almost two years old) but these years of existing are just the indication of reliability and stability.

So I took the plunge and ordered the Seagate and guess what? I'm in idle whine hell :( It's really really bad. I mean I've had drives with idle whine before but this is just ridicules beyond belief. The noise is high pitched but not like coil noise but still high enough not to be camouflaged by fan noise. I'm gonna RMA the drive and hope for a better one but it seems as though there has been a lot of these bad drive lately in my region at least as I talked to the retailer who said they have been getting quite a few drives back. If the new drive is noisy too I'm gonna get the WD

Oh and the drive was a Singapore model but with the supposedly noisy engine.

So I took the plunge and ordered the Seagate and guess what? I'm in idle whine hell :( It's really really bad. I mean I've had drives with idle whine before but this is just ridicules beyond belief. The noise is high pitched but not like coil noise but still high enough not to be camouflaged by fan noise. I'm gonna RMA the drive and hope for a better one but it seems as though there has been a lot of these bad drive lately in my region at least as I talked to the retailer who said they have been getting quite a few drives back. If the new drive is noisy too I'm gonna get the WD

Oh and the drive was a Singapore model but with the supposedly noisy engine.

I am getting the same whine noise from my 250KS Western Digital.

Thanks

I have a 320GB 7900.10 from Seagate, and so far it is very very quiet, I'd go as far as saying it is among the quietest HDDs I ever had. Had it for 3 months and no change. It is also pretty fast.

The 5K100 in my laptop has a whine. I would call it more of a squeal though. It only makes the noise when the HDD is NOT seeking. Also, it's tough to hear. I figure it's coming from the board.

Got another 7200.10 and it has the same motor. Guess that this is not the time to buy the 7200.10 series right now where I live.

Received a 3200KS yesterday and it's whisper quiet

As I'm building a new rig I'm a bit concerned about the whole Seagate 7200.10 high frequency noise affair. It looks as though its 50/50 when it comes to receiving a good drive.

I noticed that the WD SE16 WD3200KS drive is in the same price range but what about performance compared to the 7200.10? Ain't the WD3200KS an older drive?

The WD3200KS came out rather well in this test:

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2803

I have not read many other tests on the WD3200KS but it seems to be a nice drive.

I have a WD3200KS, and I am very happy with it. Acoustically, it is hard to imagine a drive containing platters that spin at 7200 RPM be more perfect, and its seeks are so quiet and muted I did not have to enable AAM. I did, however, configure my BIOS to make sure that NCQ is enabled, which probably helps with seek operations by making sure that the drive head does not have to travel as much as it would otherwise. It operates suspended in my Antec P150 case, so your experience with it might vary from mine.