MixedMedia

"When we deployed it, we thought 440 Tbytes of disk would be enou

This sure brings new meaning to the perennial question, "which hard disk drive should I use?"

NASA Upgrades Supercomputer

by Dave Raffo, News Editor, Byte and Switch

The project included adding 600 Tbytes of disk connected to DataDirect S2A9550 SANs, 20 Sun StorageTek T10000 tape libraries, and 320 ports of 4-Gbit/s Brocade Fibre Channel switches. Columbia is now connected to 1.1 Pbytes of storage, including a 440-Tbytes SGI InfiniteStorage SAN installed when it launched in 2004.

You can read the full article at http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=110393

I have built 50TB arrays using much smaller drives then are currently avaliable. Many of the products produced by the Hitachi's and EMCs of the world are not all that good of an idea for storing scientific data. You pay a large price premium for storage that is heavily optimised for a different application.

At least the modern drives available today arent quite the room heaters that we had to deal with 5-6 years ago.

A 1PB storage system would be a lot of work to put together but you would not be doing anything exotic.

When working on a project of this scale, the answer is "Whatever drive Hitachi decides to put in their rack". More often than not, you simply don't get a choice.

Appologies for answering a rhetorical question.

Frank

Many of the products produced by the Hitachi's and EMCs of the world are not all that good of an idea for storing scientific data.

I am sorry, we do not allow the use of profanity in the SR forums. Please refrain from using the company name EMC in any future posts.

Otherwise, you are absolutely correct. Hitachi is more about IO, rather than "plain old" storage. For 50TB of "plain old" storage, you can use just about any white box SATA->FC 4U arrays out there. That said, I'd never use them for an OLTP instance, and I'd never use them in a production environment where actual $$ are involved.

BBH

I am sorry, we do not allow the use of profanity in the SR forums. Please refrain from using the company name EMC in any future posts.

Sorry for changing the subject but what's wrong with EMC ?

I see people specifying EMC hardware for SAN installations where I work so any pointers to information showing bad things about them would be interesting...

OLTP and making actual $$ is not always the same. An array optimised for data base IO like some of the better known models is sometimes a poor choice for things like video editing, video production and online archive.

Trying to get large amounts of "plain old" reliable storage from some of the bigger vendors can be painful. Vendors can be so scared of canabalizing their higher end storage that they cripple or overprice their basic models.

Having actually worked for a VAR integrating Hitacti storage my biggest complaint with them is not their product but their corporate structure. The bureaucracy when dealing with them was at times insane.

For a new scientific data storage system design in the 100s of TB range I would use some of the better midrange 3U FC-SATA chassis. The previous one I did used FC drives. All told I would expect the modern SATA version to be more reliable than the earlier FC version. Six years makes a lot of difference.

Many of the products produced by the Hitachi's and EMCs of the world are not all that good of an idea for storing scientific data.

Otherwise, you are absolutely correct. Hitachi is more about IO, rather than "plain old" storage. For 50TB of "plain old" storage, you can use just about any white box SATA->FC 4U arrays out there. That said, I'd never use them for an OLTP instance, and I'd never use them in a production environment where actual $$ are involved.

BBH

BBH

profanity? I was UNAWARE that the letters EMC next to each other was considered profanity. Can someone enlighten me as to what EMC actually spells out? I had thought it was used for Eistein's theory of relativity... or something like that. Since when has these 3 letters become a bad word?

profanity? I was UNAWARE that the letters EMC next to each other was considered profanity. Can someone enlighten me as to what EMC actually spells out? I had thought it was used for Eistein's theory of relativity... or something like that. Since when has these 3 letters become a bad word?

Imagine you're a tech for a Storage vendor. You are told to replace a customers part with a replacement that you know, without a doubt, will fail. You know this because,

1: You personally pulled this replacement part out of a different customers array because it was failing last week

2: The model and firmware are known not to work with the array it is going into

You now pop it into the new customers array, and see that the "refurb" dept havn't even zero'd the drive. You zero the DAE, build a volume, it fails an hour later. You call your manager, he tells you to try to get them to upgrade from an IP4700. You walk out because it's the third time in a month that this has happened.

This is why "EMC" is considered profanity. We try not to speak of them, nor will they ever receive a second of consideration form any company I work for. I throw a fit, and have back spasms every time their name is uttered.

BBH