Guest Eugene

Enough is Enough

Guest Eugene

Alright guys,

For years a small handful of posters here in the B&G have hijacked its intended purpose (casual off-computing-topic chat) and turned off the vast majority of other SR readers and members. These posters (you know damn well who you are) have perverted the intent of the Bar & Grille. For too many years we've turned a blind eye towards the utter BS that these few individuals have spewed back and forth at each other.

No more.

We would like to see the Bar & Grille either revert back to its original intent or simply go away. Hence, from this point onwards, there's going to be a strict policy. If said political crappers continue to post their threads in this forum and make it clear they're here only to argue and post to a handful of other like-mannered individuals rather than discussing computing and the occasional lighter off-topic ideas, they're out. This is not a democracy. There is no due process here. Unfair? Cry? Whine? Going to post a long, driveling rant about how Eugene is being an ass? Too bad. Shape up or get the hell out and find some other outlet for your garbage.

Guest Eugene
Correct me if i am wrong, but it clearly says:"Bar & Grille" (none of the above)...

So obviously this is misleading. Should say (no politics....)

Jeff

The real question is whether or not those what previously used this forum as a pulpit for pontification will find themselves lost now.

The real question is whether or not those what previously used this forum as a pulpit for pontification will find themselves lost now.

Allow me to pontificate, to celebrate our new BnG.

Beneath the sun.....

The lost have won....

The peaceful gun....

And the hot dog's bun.

Thank you, I'll be here all week! Tip your bartender, try the shrimp!

And..... Scene!!!!

Correct me if i am wrong, but it clearly says:"Bar & Grille" (none of the above)...

So obviously this is misleading. Should say (no politics....)

Jeff

I don't know where you're from Jeff, but in Halifax --and much of Canada at least--, it's extremely bad form to discuss politics or religion in a bar or in a place where people are eating. It's very rude. In fact it's right up there with trying to pick up another guy's girlfriend.

I believe "Soapbox" is the proper forum title for political and religious discussions. Definitely not "Bar & Grille." But hell, maybe I'm just uncivilized.

Well Gilbo in europe you can discuss politics or religion.

I am one of those targeted here, at least i answer.

Every one is entitled to his own opinion.

So:

- maybe Eugene should have acted sooner

- maybe he was contacted by others saying they will come again if action was taken

- since it is important for any website to get a lot of hits, the crowd as the loudest voice

Quote Eugene:

"The real question is whether or not those what previously used this forum as a pulpit for pontification will find themselves lost now."

Give me a break here. No i will not find myself lost.

But i will act like i should, that is: BYE BYE Storage Review. Afterall if not wanted....if not allowed to speak or answer other topics.....if "ass kissing" is needed, well i leave that to others.

S.R. will go asleep again.

I will not respond here any more, so do not put a knife in my back please.

Jeff

Well Eugene it sure has been a snow ball rolling down hill. I don't know if you are targeting a specific couple of posters but you must understand that when people start thrashing your deeply entrenched beliefs it is hard not to fire back. Putting a dead stop to any political or religious mentions in any thread is the perfect solution. I just honestly hope all of us will abide by this decision by the guy who owns this place and we respect his wishes. We need to make sure no one posts a little underhanded poke in a random thread to start the snowballs again between SR chums. Having been an offender I will reform and hold no grudge against anyone here for anything that was ever said. Hey forgive and forget, move on, enjoy the company and top notch computing help, now where is that wine thread, I hope there are more reviews soon. :)

Problem is these weren't discussions anymore but more like people shouting at one another.

maybe Eugene should have acted sooner

I agree. Eugene or one of the other mods. Then again it may not always be easy to take such a decision as a forum is a means of discussion.

But i will act like i should, that is: BYE BYE Storage Review. Afterall if not wanted....if not allowed to speak or answer other topics

I've seen you post silly things but also good stuff so why go?

I just got back from a 3 week cycling journey throug Scotland, Ireland, & N.Ireland. Before I left, I was advised by more than a few people to leave religion & politics out of pub banter. Not that I really give a crap 'bout that stuff anyways. Besides, there were just too many gorgeous women around. Gorgeous women with accents. I thought I found heaven when I met Victoria, a 5 ft 10 inch Asian bombshell of a cougar sporting a Edinburgh accent. God, I can't even say here name without a stupid smile ripping my visage in half.

Crap, where were we?

So...

Would starting a thread/poll that said "Did you vote?" with a disclaimer to leave actual voting POSITIONS alone, to just say if you voted or not, be acceptable?

These posters (you know damn well who you are) have perverted the intent of the Bar & Grille.

No, I don't know who we are. How can someone pervert the intent of a forum specifically labeled as off-topic?

Obviously people have to respect your wishes since it's your site, but your sense of outrage is comical given that no forum rules have ever been posted with respect to the bar and grille.

Edited by MisterDuck

Polls? Voting? WTF for when its already been established that this is Eugene's site & he can do whatever he wants. Maybe I'm a little partial to Eugene's decision because religion & politics are not really my thing. In the end we have to realize that this is the BAR and GRILLE. Religion & politics would warrant an entire category (that hopefully never materializes) of their own.

Others before had asked for a change in ambience and not unreasonably. I guess the usual topics had become tiring for many. Anyway, If Eugene believes SR's goals are better served by avoiding these, I'm not going to argue otherwise.

Having read through the varied replies I am forced to conclude that the objections aren't really concerning the topics themselves but rather the content of the replies and discussions.

Having been a moderator myself in the past (on FidoNet) it is challenging sometimes to know where to draw the line but when a moderator decides that the line has been crossed he should make his views public in the thread and require an open or public explanation of the offender. If that doesn't help to change the atmosphere in the thread a public warning would be appropriate before taking any action to block the offender.

Any thoughts on that?

Alright guys,

For years a small handful of posters here in the B&G have hijacked its intended purpose (casual off-computing-topic chat) and turned off the vast majority of other SR readers and members.

I take a few years off and what do I find: sense has finally returned to SR. This should have been done in the GodsGurl-era, and perhaps the Bar and Grill would not have degenerated over the years.

Congrats Eugene for finally putting your foot down. Nice to see the site still up and running...off to go price a new Samsung F1 now!!!

Future Shock

Good job, Eugene. Glad you are turning it around.

Agreed, definitely good to have the board free of politics

Too bad the board is mostly free of anything these days.

Guess it's going the way of Ace's...

Too bad the board is mostly free of anything these days.

I think a lot of people are pretty shell-shocked by the current economic situation. I know I have been in shock for the past while, watching my sales drop by large amounts and profit fall even more. 2008 has NOT been a good year for me, I certainly hope things are better in 2009.

For me 2008 has been a good year. Got a new job, one which I actually like doing in a company I like working for and I got a 15% raise out of, better car and closer to home. And I got married.