Sign in to follow this  
Yeang

Raptor OS/app/scratch choices, help!

Hi all,

I've been debating this for a week now, and hopefully some of you can help out with this. I have 3 Raptors (1x 150GB ADFD, and 2x 74GB FLA-1), and I can't decide which one to make the OS disk vs app/scratch disk. The rig is mainly for Photoshop use, dual Opteron 275 with 8GB RAM and Areca 1160 with two RAID-5 arrays for data.

So out of:

1 x 150GB Raptor ADFD

2 x 74GB Raptor FLA-1

1 x Areca RAID-5 5 x 300GB Seagate 7200.9

1 x Areca RAID-5 5 x 500GB Seagate 7200.9

which should i use for:

- OS disk

- app disk

- scratch disk

- pagefile disk?

What about RAID-0 ing the 2 74GB raptors? From what I have read here it seems pointless.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Yeang

Hi all,

which should i use for:

- OS disk

- app disk

- scratch disk

- pagefile disk?

What about RAID-0 ing the 2 74GB raptors? From what I have read here it seems pointless.

Yeang

Photoshop scratch - use the two 74GB Raptors.

150GB as boot OS/Apps and paging, how many pageouts anyway with 8GB? unless you are doing large complex 1GB+ files in Photoshop. There have been some discussions on Photoshop RAM/RAID/Scratch.

Thanks for the input Mad hatter, and for the pointer to the Photoshop discussions.

My biggest dilemma is still unresolved, which is whether I should split OS on one Raptor and apps on another. I'm not sure if the performance gain in concurrent access by putting the OS on say the 74GB raptor and the app disk on the 150GB raptor (or other way around) will be nullified by the speed loss of the 74GB compared to the 150GB raptor.

Hope that makes sense. Per your advice, 2nd 74GB raptor is dedicated PS scratch.

Yeang

Hi all,

which should i use for:

- OS disk

- app disk

- scratch disk

- pagefile disk?

Yeang

Photoshop scratch - use the two 74GB Raptors.

150GB as boot OS/Apps and paging, how many pageouts anyway with 8GB? unless you are doing large complex 1GB+ files in Photoshop. There have been some discussions on Photoshop RAM/RAID/Scratch.

You have 3 spindles,

Put the apps on the largest fastest disk. That will make best use of the free space available.

Take the other two, put the OS on one, Swap, temp, scratch space on the other.

greg

You have 3 spindles,

Put the apps on the largest fastest disk. That will make best use of the free space available.

Take the other two, put the OS on one, Swap, temp, scratch space on the other.

greg

I disagree. It's not uncommon for photoshop use to hit pagefile and scratch at the same time, and the first priority is to ensure that pagefile and scratch aren't on the same disk/array. Happily, that's quite easy to do in this case.